cams worth it on stock b16 bottom end?

the1nicko

5+ Year Member
Whats up guys, been searching around the forums and came up with a question. Plans are to buy a b16 short block or long block which ever is cheaper, and tear the thing down. Take the short block to a machine shop and have them clean it up, hot tank it, hone it, resurface it, do what ever it is they do, then take the head to them and have them port and polish it clean it up, do what ever it is they do to it. Im not looking for a power machine, im looking to build a nice autox car with 150-200hp and as much torque as I can squeeze out of it. I decided to op for the b16 rather than the torquier b18 for the r/s ratio and to rev higher.

Now my question is would I really benefit from getting more aggressive cames? Couldn't really find any info on this. This is the best way I can think of to squeeze out some extra power and torque, is to swap out the valve train and cams. But how much would I really benefit form this on a stock bottom end? How would you get the most out of a set of cams on these engines? Im defenetily looking to keep the car n/a. Would it be worth it to purchase a set of rods and high compression pistons? What kind of machine work is needed to put a set of high compression pistons in? Any? I want to keep this car as smooth and streetable as possible so if you guys have any input or suggestions on what I can do to build a 150-200hp b16 that would be great, I am on a real tight budget though so complex builds are out of the question, defenatly want a professional job but anywhere I can cut corners as in doing engine work myself and installing things myself would be optimal. Let me know, sorry for the long post I realize alot of people wont read it haha, thanks.

12.8:1 Ls/vtec

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
brian crower stuff off of ebay will be the best bang for buck, then use p30 or ctr pistons for whatever you are going for compression wise. get a good header.

the1nicko

5+ Year Member
ok cool, so all I really need are pistons right? I dont gotta change the rods or crank when going high compression? And no machine work is needed to make the pistons fit? Sorry for the newb questions.

I know the best way to find this out would be to call my machine shop, but does anyone know an estimate of what they charge to disassemble the short block clean it all up and assemble it with high comp pistons? And about the price of cleaning up a head and installing new valve train and cams? Thanks!