camshafted

Kyle Kargazm

I need to replace my camshaft on my 96 Ex. I can get one off a 99 Ex, but I've heard that they are not the same. I wouldn't think they'd be different at all. Can someone please give me a straight answer.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
As far as I know 96-00 d16y8 camshafts are the same, just swap the cam don't swap the cam caps from another motor onto your motor. Make sure you find a decent cam though

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
What makes you think your cam needs to be replaced?

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It has less to do with the year of the car as it does the motor. What motor is in each car?

Kyle Kargazm

As far as I know 96-00 d16y8 camshafts are the same, just swap the cam don't swap the cam caps from another motor onto your motor. Make sure you find a decent cam though
Will do sir, I appreciate the feedback. I found one on ebay used for $50, would you personally spend the extra $100, $200 for a new, better one? I'm far from rich, but I do s**t the right way the first time. In the end it saves you money... and headaches. Even if I have to save up for a month to do it, it's worth it.

Kyle Kargazm

What makes you think your cam needs to be replaced?
This a*****e pulled out right in front of me, so I rear-ended him, it jammed the radiator back and tacoed the hood, breaking my dizzy. Thought it was going to be a cheap fix til I pulled the dizzy off and saw that the camshaft chunked off right where it connects to the dizzy. LAME.

Kyle Kargazm

It has less to do with the year of the car as it does the motor. What motor is in each car?
Actually the '99 is an LX, I have a '96 EX. So, I'm guessing they won't swap since I have the D16Y8, and the '99 is a D16Y7. Am I wrong in my assumption lethal6?

A]]Th!ngSound

Aspiring to Boost
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Actually the '99 is an LX, I have a '96 EX. So, I'm guessing they won't swap since I have the D16Y8, and the '99 is a D16Y7. Am I wrong in my assumption lethal6?
D16Y7's are non-vtec, and you having an EX means you need a VTEC cam.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Ya that will do it and you are correct you will need the camshaft from the D16Y8.

Last edited by a moderator: