Can I drive with a broken shock?

PurpZilla

So recently a pothole on the freeway in Oregon screwed a lot of people. My tire was torn apart and my front driver shock is broken.

What I'm wondering is the spring seems ok, and I had to drive it like 30 miles to get it home. The past week I've just borrowed friends' cars. Can I drive this to work and back for maybe a two weeks without dying?

I live 10 minutes away from work. 4mi commute one way, and the highest speed in town is 35mph. I'm not a trained mechanic and don't want to risk ruining more of the car if I don't have to, but I REALLY need a vehicle. Thanks!

Attachments

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
You'll probably be ok, but I would get it fixed ASAP. It's not like the tire will fall off (been there, done that), you just might have a fairly uncomfortable ride. I would recommend not going 2 weeks with it though. Find one from a junkyard or something and rent a spring compressor to swap it out.

Otto85

Ya you would probably be ok for short term just keep in mind going over speed bumps or and pot holes it might hit your hood

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I live 10 minutes away from work. 4mi commute one way, and the highest speed in town is 35mph.
You'd probably be alright based on your commute time and distance, but get it fixed ASAP, even if it is a used part from a junkyard.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Not knowing what else could've broken, I still wouldnt risk it. All it takes is one fool forcing you into an evasive move and anything could happen. Judging from the picture, if you'd still risk it then I'd also worry about a sudden dip and the shock denting your hood, thereby creating more repair costs.

CRX_dude

copyright 2006 omgwtflol
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yea dude change it out, better yet switch out both front struts. not too hard to DIY.. that pic is your strut mount being shot.. shoot for rockauto.com do some reasearch on youtube you can definitely do it yourself..