Can I make 200-250 HP with my D16y8 without boost?

autoX

So, Im building my civic for auto cross and boost is pretty much pointless because its such short bursts of speed and turning, the turbo wont even have time to wind up. My goal is to have about 200-250 HP, nothing crazy, but enough for me. Is this possible in my single cam engine? Feedback please.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nope.

If you're building ONLY for autocross, get a B18 or B20 and throw in a B16 tranny with an LSD and shorter FD. Good torque in low gear at high RPM = win around the track. And don't forget tires and suspension. You'll want to read the guidelines and rules per class.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
U can still run a turbo for autocross. U just wont want a gt35r...

autoX

yeah ive pondered the B series swap, but i figured 4 grand for a B18 defeats the purpose of me having a somewhat cheap hobby......as far as the suspension, its already set up... full coilovers, front/rear camber kit......H brace, upper lower front back braces.....front/rear sway bars. Roll cage coming soon.....handling isnt my issue, its going faster lol

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
U can be competitive with a stock d16...

Polish up ur driving skills and have good suspension...

autoX

i dont wanna be competitive lol....i wanna win....anyone can win with a beefy B18c1 , i wanna be different lol , And yes Im a good driver, and again.....my suspension is dialed in...no issues there

ferret15

so your running a stock motor, right? keeping a cheaper build you might be see some good results if your up to a stroker build with d17 parts and your y8 head. Danz looks like he has a pretty peppy car to say the least.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Brand of coils. Spring rates. Theres more info than what u have stated...

autoX

i dunno if i wanna do that...i dont wanna have to modify my block to fit the internals for a d17......my goal is to just beef up what I have .....but we'll see...

autoX

S2 pro II coilovers, S2 pro II camber kit, eibach front and rear sway bars.......i made all the bracing myself.... spring rate? not sure, good question.

speedygonzales

Royal Member ~ RonJ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
4 grand is what you'd spend on building an NA d16 and not even have 200 hp... do a b20 swap with a b16 transmission then later down the road do a b20v... if you source it right it'll cost about 2500 ish

autoX

we'll see, ill prob. end up buying a used b18c1 and just building it up....its already stock 200 hp, just do everything stage 2 or possibly stage 3,hondata 300 with some tuning..... ide have my 250hp......

Avant Uprising

GONE FISHIN
Registered VIP
we'll see, ill prob. end up buying a used b18c1 and just building it up....its already stock 200 hp, just do everything stage 2 or possibly stage 3,hondata 300 with some tuning..... ide have my 250hp......
a b18c1 is more like 175 at the crank. mate it with a lsd and a couple bolt ons and that will be plenty trust me.

autoX

yeah, ill find my 250 hp one way or another lol.....but im determined to remain naturally asperated.

speedygonzales

Royal Member ~ RonJ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
b20/b16 head, high compression pistons, stage 2 cams, lightweight fly wheel, and b16 transmission same hp if not more cause its a 2.0 instead of a 1.8 and more torque

autoX

yea, ill get my 250hp one way or another lol...im determined to remain naturally asperated though! haha