Cant find 12V constant power to wire head unit

Kelzy

5+ Year Member
i have a 95 civic ex, and i was trying to put my head unit in today and i couldn't find the 12 v constant (to maintain the clock and presets) also i seemed to lost the constant power to maintain my stock dash clock :( it wont keep time now when the key is off anyone have any clue ? maybe a wiring diagram ? color codes for the wires ? pictures ? lol anything

Thanks

NYGraFFit1

I Tap JdmPrncss
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i have the same problem, my head unit is retarded, i have to set the EQ EVRYTIME i turn my car on or off. its annoying as hell. i have a 2000 ex does anyone know how to set it up. ive tried a couple of wires and no luck.

Kelzy

5+ Year Member
Well i put a volt meter on every freakin wire that wasnt in the wire loom in the dash and i couldnt find it and SOMEHOW i mess'd the dash clock up, cause it work'd before i got my hands in there lol (i Reallly wish one of the previous owners would have bought the wireing harness and NOT cut it off)

wfw12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
samething happened to me in my old accord, turned out it was just a fuse. other than that i dont really know

gearbox

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you guys make this way too complicated. just run a thick (14-16 gauge) new power wire straight to the battery (with fuse ofcourse). the deck will be happier too cause the stock wire is not really big enough to carry required power. my tweeters running off deck power got 1dB louder after the upgrade wire mod.

NYGraFFit1

I Tap JdmPrncss
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you guys make this way too complicated. just run a thick (14-16 gauge) new power wire straight to the battery (with fuse ofcourse). the deck will be happier too cause the stock wire is not really big enough to carry required power. my tweeters running off deck power got 1dB louder after the upgrade wire mod.
just wrap the wire around one leg of the fuse or both and use the positive terminal?:?:use a 10 or 15 v fuse.

gearbox

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i can check what i did, but basically i just spliced the power wire off the deck harness and ran it to the + battery with a small ring or spade clamp. then put a fuse holder and fuse inline on the wire near the battery. if you use 14 gauge wire, go with 15 amp fuse. you can buy a fuse holder and fuse from auto parts store.

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Under the driver's side of the dash there is a 10 ga solid white wire:

Scotchlok onto that and you got a constant

NYGraFFit1

I Tap JdmPrncss
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
f**k that i pulled my radio out and re-wired the entire thing. it turns out it was always there but i had to combine the two power wires (Red And yellow) from my head unit for it to work... weird. yet theres the normal one un used. o well either way i got it fixed

NYGraFFit1

I Tap JdmPrncss
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
every time u turn ur car off and on it resets? if so check the wiring again for the constant 12v wire also check the fuses, maybe its blown if its not holding any memory.

postal21

vroom vroom
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Nygraffit1, you dont want to use accessory wire and your constant wire both on your constant power source... your radio wont ever shut off... o_O

NYGraFFit1

I Tap JdmPrncss
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Nygraffit1, you dont want to use accessory wire and your constant wire both on your constant power source... your radio wont ever shut off... o_O

no it shuts off, i just use the power button. makes sense? lol;)

eskateboarding7

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
but if you forget, the battery will run. Why not make life easier and hook up that yellow ACC wire to the ignition?

NYGraFFit1

I Tap JdmPrncss
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
but if you forget, the battery will run. Why not make life easier and hook up that yellow ACC wire to the ignition?
not really cause i hadn't turned my car on for 3 days prior to today (wasn't home) and the car turned on just fine. the head unit pulls no energy when its not on, obviously cause its off, no lights flashing, no energy light so to say. so nothing, and its not like i have a 6 year old head unit. i have some JVC head unit from last year. so its worked out fine.

eskateboarding7

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
not really cause i hadn't turned my car on for 3 days prior to today (wasn't home) and the car turned on just fine. the head unit pulls no energy when its not on, obviously cause its off, no lights flashing, no energy light so to say. so nothing, and its not like i have a 6 year old head unit. i have some JVC head unit from last year. so its worked out fine.
I meant if you forgot to turn it off. I see what you're saying. Oh, and it actually does use power when off, but it's such a small amount, it wont do anything. The constant is what allows the radio to remember your presents and EQ sets when the car is off (hence when the battery is disconnected all presets are lost).

NYGraFFit1

I Tap JdmPrncss
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I meant if you forgot to turn it off. I see what you're saying. Oh, and it actually does use power when off, but it's such a small amount, it wont do anything. The constant is what allows the radio to remember your presents and EQ sets when the car is off (hence when the battery is disconnected all presets are lost).
yea pretty much, but i take my face with me wherever i go, if i go to the supermarket ill take it off and stuff it under my seat, if im home ill take it inside. and thats like a ritual for me so its impossible for it to stay on. but lord forgive i forget one day and my battery is drained, i have an Start Battery Booster in my trunk so im prepared lol. ;)

lurice01

hey beezlebub, everybody, i have TWO 10 ga solid white wires under my drivers side dash. i think its my ignition switch harness. Why are there 2? which one do i want to tap into? either one?

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It's scary and sad how many of you have hacked up wiring....

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Whats even more sad is trying to engage a conversation in a 7 year old thread.