car shuts off while on highway

saad

Hi Saad here, so I have a Civic 2001 gli the car cuts off when I'm driving on the highway for roughly an hour or more. Radio and lights stay on. Just engine light comes on, car cuts off and then engine sign disappears. Went to a mechanic replaced fuel and oil filter, plugs and o2 sensor. Cam sensor also giving a error code. Now while driving within city car never cuts. It only cuts while continuously driving it for about an hour or more. And yes when it cuts I put the car on neutral and try ignition again, it starts but again stops after a while. I think may be something is heating up and shutting off the car???

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Engine will shut down if it loses spark, fuel, or air. Overheating generally won't shut down an engine. I suppose it could be an electrical issue too. When the engine light comes on, does it do so before the car dies? You might be able to pull the CEL code and get an idea of what's going on.

saad

Yep the engine light suddenly comes on and the car cuts off, like these both things happen at the same time. The scanner shows the cam sensor faulty I dont know the code as the mechanic did it. This problem only happens if I drive the car for more than 30 mins or sometimes after an hour or so. But when it happens the if I try the ignition the car starts again and then shuts off in less than a kilometer. But if I park the car for a few hours it drives fine until I drive it for more than 30 mins

I remember one incident when the car went off, I just went to neutral and started the car and kept on driving it. I did it like this for four times until I reached my destination. The distance covered was 86kms. But while coming back after driving for 15 mins or so the car went off. I started the car again and drove and the next time it went off it would start and cut off instantly and after repeatedly starting the car, the engine started giving back fire sounds. Then after 2 mins I tried again this time I barely took it off the highway and went to a near by mechanic. He changed the O2 sensor and according to him he kept the car running idle for a few hours the car did not cut off. But when I took the car from him and was coming back, after an hour or so the same problem started again. The mechanic did say that cam sensor needs to be replaced as well. The thing is I want to be certain that changing the cam sensor will solve the problem

Last edited by a moderator:

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
You should go back to the mechanic and get that code -- that's key to solving your issue.

Sounds like it could be cam position sensor issue, either the wiring or the sensor isn't working correctly.

saad

Thing is bro will it solve the problem if I replace the cam position sensor? Or should I just replace it and see how it goes?
And thank you for helping me out

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
The sensor itself might be good, it could just be a wiring issue. Honestly without knowing the code, it's hard to say. I wouldn't replace it just yet.