Car stalling when it gets hot.

Aussie Troy

Hi, Thanks for reading.

I have a 2001 civic that has developed a stalling problem. It has happend 4 times in the past couple of months.
2 times it has happened because i have been stuck in bad traffic and might not move much in 20 minutes or so and the car heats up. Another time it happened when i was driving up a very steep hill for about 4kms.
The other time was on the highway when the temperature outside was close to 40 degress ( over 100 farenheit). Each time the car has just cut off with out warning. If i try to start it again straight away, it wont. But if i wait 15mins or longer, it starts and im on my way.
The mechanics i have taken it too have given me different advice and neither of these fixes has worked.
First one said fuel filter, which was replaced.
Another said crank positon sensor, which was replaced.
It has stalled again since.
I can drive around for ages with no problems if im not stopped for too long in traffic etc or going up really steep hills or its extremely hot outside.

Can anyone please offer any possible solutions??

Thankyou.

Aussie Troy

Are you saying that the engine overheats?
No, the engine doesnt overheat, just when the car would be running hotter than normal eg. sitting in traffic, driving up a very steep hill, and extreme temperatures outside.

After the first time it happened, i took it to Honda, who scanned it for codes, but nothing showed.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
How is your idle when warmed up? Is it too low?

I've seen a lot of threads regarding this problem in the past and a common solution was a bad distributor. See if you can get yours tested.

Aussie Troy

How is your idle when warmed up? Is it too low?

I've seen a lot of threads regarding this problem in the past and a common solution was a bad distributor. See if you can get yours tested.
The idle is fine, and remains steady.
Distributor? Mine has the 4 coils for the spark plugs, so it doesnt have one.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sorry coil pack*. I forget these cars change over the generations lol. I haven't answered tech questions in years :lol:.

Aussie Troy

Sorry coil pack*. I forget these cars change over the generations lol. I haven't answered tech questions in years :lol:.
Im no mechanic, but surely all 4 would have to be bad for a car to stall? and only when its running hot? Like i said, i could drive around for hours with no problems if its continusous driving with no long stopping etc.
Is it possible the main relay is playing up? i have read elsewhere they can lose contact when it gets hot, and operate fine when cooler.