Car won't start unless I hit the gas.

Mclaren

Hello everyone I am new to Club Civic. Thank you for having me. Any suggestions on my issue are appreciated..

So my issues is I have a type R swap in a ek I had a butchered 99 harness in my 98 civic. I swapped out that for a 98 ex obd2a harness and im running a Jdm P73. Ever since I did this my car doesn't start unless I hit the gas I read the Cel by jumping out the two pin connector. It's reading code 45. To rich or to lean. I'm not a mechanic I don't know how to tell which one it is.

It does seem to surge a bit and when i hit the gas it doesn't always idle back down but sometimes it will.. If anyone could lead me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated!

Mclaren

I am not sure what obd2a ecu to put in that has vtec. I was considering getting a conversion harness to do obd2a-obd2b so I could run my P2p. Pretty sure that was the only code blinking but I'll double check.

Also I did the ckf bypass since the B16b doesn't have one and I also only have one O2 sensor should I look into having a second installed? And wire it directly into my ecu since the 98 ex harness doesn't have a secondary o2 sensor plug

Mclaren

I knew there was a Usdm ecu I haven't been able to find one though. That site you tagged is pretty cool thanks for that but they didn't seem to have it either.

And my mechanic had a obd2b harness in the car completely butchered with like 20-30 wires cut and the B16b ran fine on the p2p. Maybe it ran fine because all of the cut wires I have no idea.

And I believe you're right about jdm ecus don't look for a second o2 sensor

Mclaren

I checked it again this for morning I have code 31, and it seems to be 55 not 45. I haven't stated my tach doesn't work also so maybe that's what code 31 is?

Mclaren

I thought fast flashes counted as 10 and slow flashes count as 1? I let the codes repeat twice in the video.

I'll check what you said but I'm pretty my iacv with plug is a two ping plug and my map sensor is a three pin plug

Mclaren

ok i used my haynes manuel everything color wise matches up. i had the car running earlier the car wouldnt idle down after hitting the gas. im guessing since the tach isnt working that it was around 1500-2000 rpm. i tried unplugging the map sensor didnt change anything, also did the iacv didnt do anything. i didnt try the tps maybe i should have now that i think of it.

Mclaren

the code looks the same to me. and yeah i agree but since the p2t is a usdm ecu. i will need to wire a second o2 sensor into the ecu since the ex doesnt have one. not a terrible thing but it is what it is.

i bought the obd2a-obd2b conversion harness hopefully the car will be a tad better with the old ecu.

Mclaren

Is has it built into the harness? Then the person I bought the harness from cut the wires off. Not the only thing I've noticed he cut should have thoroughly checked it but that's a different story. Every thing I believe is back together...

Mclaren

Yes that video is after resetting the ecu and soldering both wires for the iacv bc he just twisted them and covered with tape..

My primary o2 sensor is fine and plugged in but I didn't see a secondary anywhere on the harness. I'll check for voltage, and resistance on the heater circuit.

No secondary 02 code is being thrown yet due to the jdm ecu is still in and not looking for it. I'll attempt to drive the car today to see how it drives. Thank you for all your help so far

Mclaren

Now for some odd reason the car doesn't want to stay running. Go figure... I've recently had to hit the gas to get it started now i do that then let go and the car just keeps dying

Mclaren

I have constant 12v at the black yellow at the o2 sensor but at the o2 sensor itself I don't have continuity on the two black heater wires. So I have a bad o2 sensor?

Mclaren

So I have the obd2a-obd2b conversion harness in and the p2t plugged in my scan tool is still saying unable to read communication error.. I have 12v power at the data port from the battery