Catback or Muffler delete?

Brandoh

I'm wondering if I should get a yonaka catback or just do a muffler delete to be plain and simple. I want the car to sound good, and from the research I've done, it seems that there aren't really any exhausts that you can buy that don't sound like an angry wasp or the clips that you'd see in a ricer compilation. However, from what I've heard from audio clips on YouTube, the Yonaka catback sounds the least ricey. But I've also heard muffler deletes for the D16y8, and they don't sound half bad either. But I want the opinion of others. Should I go muffler delete/straight pipe, or Yonaka Catback? I want to know what everybody else thinks sounds better. I don't want to f**k it up at all. thanks.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You must not be looking too hard because there are several good sounding muffler options, and theyve been discussed a few times in the last year alone. MagnaFlow is my choice. Yonakas sound good but the quality is ok and will have a better chance at lasting longer than 2 years or so if you live somewhere that oxidation isnt an issue.

Theres no way on earth that a straight piped "muffler delete" on a Civic sounds good at all. Its loud and obnoxious.

If your engine is stock then a catback system is needless as it wont improve anything so just get a muffler if the stock piping is solid.

Brandoh

You must not be looking too hard because there are several good sounding muffler options, and theyve been discussed a few times in the last year alone. MagnaFlow is my choice. Yonakas sound good but the quality is ok and will have a better chance at lasting longer than 2 years or so if you live somewhere that oxidation isnt an issue.

Theres no way on earth that a straight piped "muffler delete" on a Civic sounds good at all. Its loud and obnoxious.

If your engine is stock then a catback system is needless as it wont improve anything so just get a muffler if the stock piping is solid.
well, i also missed a major point when i originally wrote this. Im on a budget, and those $700 catbacks are far out of range for me right now.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If youre on a budget then consider getting a used muffler off of a newer sportier 4-banger. I installed a 2002 RSX type-S muffler on mine. You can find the audio clip on YouTube if it interests you.

Brandoh

Update: I thought up a new idea and im wondering opinions. Since just about most exhaust systems sound pretty similar, what if I just get a full spec D exhaust but change out the muffler with either a vibrant or a magnaflow?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
As I mentioned before, there's no need to change the piping if your engine is remaining stock unless its damaged. So just install a quality muffler like Magnaflow. Even if the piping is damaged its typically less expensive to simply have your local muffler shop install their own piping.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I'll sell you my OEM RSX Type-S muffler. $10 + shipping and its yours... I may be moving in the next couple months so the less s**t I need to take with me, the better!