charging system question

stupidhard

BOAT KNIGHT!
im planning a swap for my 95 coupe gonna drop a b18 from an integra between the fenders. i would assume the alternator from the acura would have greater output, but im new to honda vehicles so im in the dark a little.

the alternator in my current set up seems a little anemic and things get dim when i hit the brakes or turn on the blower fan in the cabin. it seems to have so much strain on it, maybe its time to replace it. when all systems are on it makes the drive belt squeek a little and if there is moisture in the air it will squeel if i have to many things running. maybe i need to check belt tension also but any advice would be great!

-chris

SpeedTechnik

Nothing but Performance
Registered VIP
It will have a greater output because it's meant for a bigger dual cam engine instead of the sohc stock....if that what you have? . But don't rely on that. before you do the swap make sure you do all and any necessary maintenances (as in doing a full diagnoses on wires, changing hoses, full tune up) ie check if that alternator is working before you drop it in and save yourself some time or replace it fo a new one or fix the one you have :drive:

Alternators are also unlikely to fail so I suggest you buy a voltmeter and check your lines. Check all your grounds. clean them if dirty. check your car battery output, should be between 12.4-12.6 for an average to okay reading.

Last edited by a moderator:

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Alternators can most definitely fail...what are you trying to feed him?

SpeedTechnik

Nothing but Performance
Registered VIP
Alternators can most definitely fail...what are you trying to feed him?
I said they are "unlikely" to fail. They can most definitely fail under strenuous conditions and can be common in older vehicles but in my experience whenever I have dealt with a battery charging problem I always used steps before convicting the alternator; My alternators have always checked out fine (except for one) and it always turned out to be many small things creating a big problem. Batteries can also be faulty, and with my luck they were always the first to fail the test and not the alternator. which brings me to add that just because the voltage reads 12.4 doesn't mean its a good battery. also, there could be an electrical parasite in the car that is draining his battery after his alternator charges it. There is a wide spectrum and im just trying to say that he should do a thorough diagnoses before going strait to the alternator because he could end up buying multiples and not fix the actual problem. not that I care how much he wastes but he did ask for advice and that's my :twocents:

stupidhard

BOAT KNIGHT!
my car is most definitely in need of some attention as far as the electrical system goes. ive noticed corrosion in more than one place. thanks to the both of you, one for the advice and the other for trying to protect me. I forgot about the grounds. grounding was an issue on my rx7(rip) and its been a while since ive had a car worth tweaking.

-chris

now for the output. I don't believe the number of cams has much to do with the output of the alternator. some luxury versions of cars come with higher output alternators to support added electrical systems and what not. just wondered if anyone knows about this
+

Last edited by a moderator:

SpeedTechnik

Nothing but Performance
Registered VIP
now for the output. I don't believe the number of cams has much to do with the output of the alternator. some luxury versions of cars come with higher output alternators to support added electrical systems and what not. just wondered if anyone knows about this
+
I know a bit regarding the electrical systems only because of the Sc I had and a couple of restore projects I help on. Yes they probably have nothing to do, but In my opinion I believe the dual cam engines are a bit more reliable with endurance thus why I think they put higher output alternators on those engines. But im sure you can put a high output on in an sohc but Idk anything about that combo...alsso don't want to "feed" you bad info good luck

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Just because you have never had an alternator fail doesn't mean that it is unlikely. In fact it is highly common for alternators to fail. A bad battery can also take an alternator out just as well as a bad alternator can take out a battery.

My suggestion would be to have your battery and alternator tested. Most chain auto parts stores have provisions to test both as well as a starter if you should need. They will be able to tell you if the battery is shot, has bad cells, has sulfated, etc. They can also tell you if the alternator is charging at it's rated cycle.

stupidhard said:
This is (at least to my knowledge) correct.

Also don't know if I have even seen a higher amp alternator as an option from Honda. For the 92-95 they have 70 amp, 96-00 got a 75 amp, 2001-2005 went back to 70 amp. The only high one that I can find in the catalog is the 2000 Si which had an 80 amp. None show the option to have a higher amp based on the motor in the car.