Cheap eBay turbo kits?

maxsideburn

5+ Year Member
Just wondering if anyone has ever used one of those cheap eBay turbo kits on their D15/D16 and if so if it was any good. Also what kinda of power increase are we talking about here for these little motors?

ChewiSi

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i would say it would make a less output then any high end kit, but it'll last about 2 weeks and you'll have a broken manifold/turbo/motor. not worth it, do some research and get good quality s**t. worth it every bit. DONT BUY THAT EBAY CHEAPO SSAUTOCRAP s**t

watisjdm

Clit Commander
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
ChewiSi said:
i would say it would make a less output then any high end kit, but it'll last about 2 weeks and you'll have a broken manifold/turbo/motor. not worth it, do some research and get good quality s**t. worth it every bit. DONT BUY THAT EBAY CHEAPO SSAUTOCRAP s**t
yeah dont waste ur money on ebay crap....save up ur money and get a good kit from a turbo company...yea it mite cost a good pretty penny but if u want power u gotta pay for it..good luck tho

bizoneoeh

Ex-Gang Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
No but I'm using one of these cheap turbo kits and I love it :D This guy made my homemade kit for me but I was really looking to be boosted. I already had the money when I started looking ;) I wasn't just asking about turbo kits, I was really looking for one

http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=83339

SiRcivic27

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My friend was able to find a complete new kit for his 99 ex that had a B16 swap. Didnt have fuel management but came with everything else including intercooler for like $1000. Was a pain in the ass because everything came in ONE huge box with no directions, so it was a monster puzzle. It ran well, but he sold the car a month later. Personally I wouldnt do a cheap kit, but my bud had good luck with one, for a month at least.

maxsideburn

5+ Year Member
what kind of gains are we talking about when turboing the D15? (And I'm not talking about 20psi, I'm talking about reasonable boost, 6-7psi.)

bizoneoeh

Ex-Gang Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
maxsideburn said:
what kind of gains are we talking about when turboing the D15? (And I'm not talking about 20psi, I'm talking about reasonable boost, 6-7psi.)
it all depends on the tune, turbo size, wich d15, how much psi and some other s**t. If you want to boost then I suggest you buy yourself a kit, install it then go get it tuned. That's the only way you're going to know the gains. Now I can understand your question so I'll try to answer it as best I can. With a d15b7, a 14b turbo, a piggyback tune @7psi, I say about 150hp or so to the wheels maybe. It's hard to say tho, I'm just guessing ;) it could be even lower

boostedb16

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
what about a turbonetics kit from ebay, the turbo is turbonetics and the waistgate is also, so what is the big deal about ebay s**t, i know everyone has got burned at least once but most things are good, i say buy the kit, get it tuned, and maybe the mannifold will need to be replaced, but i would rather pay $100.00 to $200.00 than $3500.00 any day.

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
for the most part the ebay kits are fine but the thing that you might need to replace is the turbo manifold only because the flange that sits up to the exhaust ports is not stainless steel like the tubing and so therefore since they are two different types of metal welded together, there is a chance of it cracking. other then that the rest of the parts are just fine! :thumbs up

boostedb16

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well my manifold is a cast type, there is nothing stainless about it, so mine should be fine.

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
boostedb16 said:
well my manifold is a cast type, there is nothing stainless about it, so mine should be fine.
ok, thats great bro! thats the major thing that you want to look out for...welding two different metals together isnt a good idea...especcially when a large amount of heat is going to be present. 8)

jay_quints

5+ Year Member
i got a d17 05 civic and im looking to boost but i head for these little engines its a pain and hard to maintain and also easy to blow but i only wanna run 6 punds wat do you think i should do?and the turbo kit isnt from ebay my bro bought it off a site and is selling it to me for 250 full kit

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
jay_quints said:
i got a d17 05 civic and im looking to boost but i head for these little engines its a pain and hard to maintain and also easy to blow but i only wanna run 6 punds wat do you think i should do?and the turbo kit isnt from ebay my bro bought it off a site and is selling it to me for 250 full kit
you should be fine with only 6lb's of boost. dont go crazy and crank it up...thats when you really can mess things up. I would suggest doing some more reading on it so that you know about it more...! =)

RKSskier

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
$250? theres a really good chance you are going to need or want to add some parts to that kit. What all is in it or with it?