Cheap stereo

sjonesd3

2000 EX Coupe

Not sure if this is the correct thread to post this in or in electronics. But I'm wondering what's a good cheap brand to go with so I can have an AUX port? I'll eventually get a double din next year but I currently have an OEM Honda radio & my cds skip when it's hot and I hate using an FM Transmitter.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Don't get one with an aux input the cords always get screwed up, buy one with a usb and never use a cd again. If you plan on upgrading to a double din just look at a Jensen or a dual from Walmart I'm sure they work good enough to last a few years. I've had my kenwood single deck with usb since 2005 and it's still going strong, think I paid 150$ for it

sjonesd3

Don't get one with an aux input the cords always get screwed up, buy one with a usb and never use a cd again. If you plan on upgrading to a double din just look at a Jensen or a dual from Walmart I'm sure they work good enough to last a few years. I've had my kenwood single deck with usb since 2005 and it's still going strong, think I paid 150$ for it
Ok bet. I just have to find one that has Android support. Most offer iPhone support

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
just use a 4-16gb flash drive and put all your music on it

sjonesd3

just use a 4-16gb flash drive and put all your music on it
Lmao man I had a slow moment. I don't know why I didn't think of that. I forgot that I can just save it on there. I'll do that then. Is it easy to navigate if I separate it by folders?

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
probably depends on the radio, my kenwood the volume know can be pressed up or down like a joystick to change folders

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Buy an adapter harness pigtail from Metra I believe and then wire it to the pigtail that coes with the stereo, you can do this out of the car then the radio becomes plug and play without cutting stock harness.

sjonesd3

Buy an adapter harness pigtail from Metra I believe and then wire it to the pigtail that coes with the stereo, you can do this out of the car then the radio becomes plug and play without cutting stock harness.
Alright thanks. I read somewhere on a post that you would tuck the stock radio behind the dash. Would that apply to my year or no?

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You only do that if you have keyless entry and want to keep it stock. You can always buy an alarm for keyless entry and extra protection. Keep in mind if you are keeping the oem keyless that it has a key code for the radio to work but I'm not sure if that effects the keyless or not.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i wouldnt waste my money, i just used the oem pocket. it bolts to the stock radio so with an aftermarket radio it will be loose but if your upgrading to dual den why waste money

sjonesd3

i wouldnt waste my money, i just used the oem pocket. it bolts to the stock radio so with an aftermarket radio it will be loose but if your upgrading to dual den why waste money
Lol thank you, cause I hate the way that mount looks. OEM looks way better

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Dual is an immitation Alpine brand and its of poor quality. Jensen is barely better than that. Kenwood would be the cheapest brand of headunit Id recommend. Do look into Alpine. Last I checked they had some solid entry level models with great audio quality.

As for the Din kit, also check out the Scosche brand kits. They tend to be better than Metra.

sjonesd3

Dual is an immitation Alpine brand and its of poor quality. Jensen is barely better than that. Kenwood would be the cheapest brand of headunit Id recommend. Do look into Alpine. Last I checked they had some solid entry level models with great audio quality.

As for the Din kit, also check out the Scosche brand kits. They tend to be better than Metra.
This is the one I bought. Just arrived gotta wait until I get off to get it. Might install tomorrow. Bought a crimping kit to avoid the soldering.
Kenwood KDC-122U CD Receiver with Front USB & AUX https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PWX9TJS/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_awd_7RgdwbJDR135T

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That should do a decent job. Did you also purchase the wiring harness?

sjonesd3

It was a success, 1st time doing an installation. Wasn't bad just super hot outside & I cut my hand on the metal part of the OEM mount.

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
damn im a week late, i just sold a unit i had in my mini truck for 35 dollars , it was a nice ass pioneer.