Check Engine Light After Jump Starting

Concerned Parent

First off this is my daughters car.
She called me today after she had been home about an hour and a half and tells me her car won't start. I went home and jumped it off, it started fine but there was a lot of check engine lights on saying check ABS, power steering, AVS, and Brakes also I think.
Is this normal after jumping this car off.
I have had a lot of cars and have never had this happen. The lights went off after a short drive but my concerns are should I have it checked out or is this normal?
Also shouldn't the battery last longer than 3 years?
Thanks

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
First off this is my daughters car.
She called me today after she had been home about an hour and a half and tells me her car won't start. I went home and jumped it off, it started fine but there was a lot of check engine lights on saying check ABS, power steering, AVS, and Brakes also I think.
Is this normal after jumping this car off.
I have had a lot of cars and have never had this happen. The lights went off after a short drive but my concerns are should I have it checked out or is this normal?
Also shouldn't the battery last longer than 3 years?
Thanks
its normal the ecu checks to see if it does it agian if it feel like it won't do it then it will turn the light off automatically

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
it's only a problem is they stay on after you start driving. If not, I wouldn't worry about it.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
A battery should last longer than 3 years, but something like leaving the dome light on for a few hours can be enough to zap it. My guess is that once the car was jumped, there was still low voltage, which is why all those CELs popped up. Eventually the battery puts out enough power to everything and the CEL goes away.

As previously stated, as long as the CEL doesn't come back, nothing to worry about. :thumbs up