check engine light is blinking!! need some info!!

westendhooligan

5+ Year Member
alright, i finished rebuilding my heads and valves. i had a blown head gasket! now, everything was going good with the engine, ran good, started good, no problems! now yesturday, i turned it on and it sounded like s**t, it sounded like it wanted to turn off! my check engine light started to blink on and off! i pushed the gas peddle to see if it just needed a kick, but nothing it still sounds like it wants to turn off! it sounds like an old car that needs to be on for a while for the engine to warm up. if anyone has any ideas let me know whats up, thanks!! one more thing if it helps, my exhaust manifold has a big crack on it (near the catalic converter)! can it be that?

indopenguin

5+ Year Member
uhmm... i dunno but last time my engine lights turned on i juss turned off my car and push the litle knob in and hold for like 10 sec and then it was gone lol i read it in the owners manual u can check =] and did u take off one of the sensors on the intake? cuz last time my car sounded it wanted to die cuz of that lol.

RonJ

Banned
A blinking CEL tells you that the engine is misfiring so severely that it may damage the catalytic converter. Therefore, stop driving the car when the CEL blinks.

Start by pulling the CEL codes from the ECU using an OBDII scan tool. Write them down. Then use the scan tool to clear the codes from the ECU and then run the engine briefly and pull the CEL codes again to see which codes repeat. Post the original and repeated codes in your thread.

Definitely also repair the exhaust leak in the exhaust manifold. It may not be causing the misfiring but can cause the engine to run rich (low gas mileage), which could destroy the cat.

westendhooligan

5+ Year Member
i used a diognastic computer that my home boy has, i slap it on and it didnt give me any codes. what it did give me was " 3rd cylinder missfire " ??? what does that mean???

RonJ

Banned
Check whether the spark plug for cylinder 3 is fouled. Post a picture.

Other possibilities are a clogged or bad fuel injector or low compression for cylinder 3.

The cylinders are numbered 4-3-2-1 from left to right when you are facing the front of the car.

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
last time my engine light flashed like that and ran like that... i had a boost spike.. the excessive pressure blew the spark out and created a multiple missfire...

i know this isnt your situation...

the crack in the exhaust manifold is not helping... it may be so severe a crack that it is messing with the O2 sensor readings making it think the car is lean... in turn... it is adding fuel to compensate... fouling your plugs.

id say... get the crack taken care of... and then see if you have the same issues... the we will work from there.

theres no point trying to diagnose a problem when there is already broken parts that are related to the issue.

westendhooligan

5+ Year Member
yeah, i checked out my spark plugs, fuel injecters, and the compression for each cylinder. they all checked out good!! but, my ride still sounds like crap!! now when my engine starts it begings to shake a bit.. my next step is to get the crack taken care of!! thanks for the info!

RonJ

Banned
Might be a bad coil for cylinder 3. Is the CEL still blinking for cylinder 3 misfire?

westendhooligan

5+ Year Member
naw, it stop blinking! but since the engine stills sounds crapy, i havent left it running for a long period of time. so i dont do know if it will turn on if i leave it running a good period? i dont want to do any more damage to the engine if any hasnt already??

westendhooligan

5+ Year Member
thanks for all the info!!! it really comes in handy, knowing all the above!! so...... i did a quick diogastic check with the computer and it read " no computer malfunction has been found " i left my car on for a while to see if the check engine light turned on and nothing. it remains off!!

westendhooligan

5+ Year Member
my 3rd cylinder coil was the cause.... it didnt look like anything was wrong with it. but that was the cause!! thanks for the help!!