Checking oil pressure...

T!mmy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hey I was trying to check my oil pressure because I was getting the CEL 22. Everything seemed to be working properly and the oil pressure was the only thing I hadnt checked. Well I didnt have the test gauge but I went and got a simple oil pressure gauge and hooked it up to the front of the block where my shop manual says too.

The oil never made it to the gauge...SO doe this mean the pump is going out? or am I not doing something right?

Thanks
Brian

T!mmy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
bump...

T!mmy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
c'mon now....noone has installed a mechanical oil pressure gauge? oc? someone?

qwikxr

former PCM#3
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
what motor, timmy?

and where, exactly are you connecting the gauge to? Have a picture?

T!mmy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
it's cool...I put it in the back of the block where the oil sending unit is, worked fine...and my oil pressure is great so that's not my problem...

Now i am in need of a vtec oil pressure switch...I can only assume that is what is giong out.

slammedSI

5+ Year Member
T!mmy said:
it's cool...I put it in the back of the block where the oil sending unit is, worked fine...and my oil pressure is great so that's not my problem...

Now i am in need of a vtec oil pressure switch...I can only assume that is what is giong out.
Hey buddy i looked in my parts bin but no luck. i didnt think i would find one anyways.

T!mmy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Alright so a new possibility has been thrown into the mix.

Apparently the lil orifice/jet between head and block for the sensor could be clogged....another head removal could be coming up...which SUCKS

I'm not saying you are wrong at all bobby...but I couldn't find another situation anywehre that said this was the problem with their engine while getting a code 22. It makes perfect sense and all and I figure that's it...matches up perfect with the description. But has anyone else ever heard of this?

On another note...when I did the swap the engine came with the electric VSS...I just took it off or w/e, so Ic ould hook up my cable. Although I read on a site that without the electric VSS it could cause problems. Now I'm not saying this has s**t to do with the code 22 at all....I just read that so I thought I'd see what y'all thought.

slammedSI

5+ Year Member
T!mmy said:
Alright so a new possibility has been thrown into the mix.

Apparently the lil orifice/jet between head and block for the sensor could be clogged....another head removal could be coming up...which SUCKS

I'm not saying you are wrong at all bobby...but I couldn't find another situation anywehre that said this was the problem with their engine while getting a code 22. It makes perfect sense and all and I figure that's it...matches up perfect with the description. But has anyone else ever heard of this?

On another note...when I did the swap the engine came with the electric VSS...I just took it off or w/e, so Ic ould hook up my cable. Although I read on a site that without the electric VSS it could cause problems. Now I'm not saying this has s**t to do with the code 22 at all....I just read that so I thought I'd see what y'all thought.
Hey your not going to hurt my feeings any lol. he was just saying that could be a possibiaty.

T!mmy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well I got the problem fixed I believe...Took the vtec pressure switch out and wired itup into the vtec solenoid or w/e...Replaced switch with a oil pressure gauge.

No CELs anymore....fun ass driving :D

AND on the flip side I now have a 'boost' gauge to f**k with people. Because when vtec engages it presurizes the guage causing it rise to like 75ish psi. I'm going to get some dumbass to believe I have a turbo installed but no BOV so I can be a sleeper haha.

Thanks for all the help

henkz0r

Unobtanium Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
T!mmy said:
AND on the flip side I now have a 'boost' gauge to f**k with people. Because when vtec engages it presurizes the guage causing it rise to like 75ish psi. I'm going to get some dumbass to believe I have a turbo installed but no BOV so I can be a sleeper haha.

Thanks for all the help
This is an oil pressure guage, right? Your oil pump is directly driven off of your crankshaft. As your engine increases in RPM, your oil pump starts pumping more oil which increases the pressure. When VTEC engages, your oil pressure actually decreases, but only slightly (1-5psi or so). When the VTEC solenoid opens, oil is routed to push the VTEC actuation pistons. Since your pressurized oil chamber gets slightly larger, the overall pressure decreases slightly.

If you notice your oil pressure is ridiculously high when your engine is not warmed up. Your engine oil is still in sludge mode. This is the number one reason why you should let your engine warm up before flogging it. Since installing the oil pressure gauge, I tend to decide that it's warm and ready by the oil pressure, not the engine temperature.

If anyone believes that your oil pressure gauge is a boost/vacuum gauge because it increases with RPM, well, you should shoot them in the face.

T!mmy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
henkz0r said:
This is an oil pressure guage, right? Your oil pump is directly driven off of your crankshaft. As your engine increases in RPM, your oil pump starts pumping more oil which increases the pressure. When VTEC engages, your oil pressure actually decreases, but only slightly (1-5psi or so). When the VTEC solenoid opens, oil is routed to push the VTEC actuation pistons. Since your pressurized oil chamber gets slightly larger, the overall pressure decreases slightly.

If you notice your oil pressure is ridiculously high when your engine is not warmed up. Your engine oil is still in sludge mode. This is the number one reason why you should let your engine warm up before flogging it. Since installing the oil pressure gauge, I tend to decide that it's warm and ready by the oil pressure, not the engine temperature.

If anyone believes that your oil pressure gauge is a boost/vacuum gauge because it increases with RPM, well, you should shoot them in the face.
yeah you are exactly right...but since this is installed where the vtec pressure switch goes it only becomes active and starts moving when vtec kicks in. So I'll be driving and the gauge is at the bottom, 0 psi. but when I reach the vtec engaging point, the pressure jumps up to about 75 psi immediately...

And yes, the person that believes it is a boost gauge will be a complete retard...but do you actually think I cant get some dumb ricer to believe me?

"There's no way that's a turbo gauge, it goes up to 75 psi..."
"well it's just in a smaller increment, that stands for 7.5 psi :D"

Tell me that wont work lol