CHILD'S *EK* ... finally i have an EK

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
International Auto Sound Challenge Association (I had to google that). That should be interesting. You should start a build thread on that.

EJaudiophile

Respected
International Auto Sound Challenge Association (I had to google that). That should be interesting. You should start a build thread on that.
That's the plan. I'll post a link on here when it's up If anyone is interested it's gonna be slow goin tho

Last edited:

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Holy crap after 268 pages and a weeks Time I'm finally to the end and I am dumbstruck. You, my friend, are a honda artist the more I read your build thread the more inspired I got I just hope someday my coupe will be as sick as yours
Hey thanks for the kind words man, much appreciated!

well, finally got off my butt and finished trimming up my water pump housing like I needed to in order to clear the plenum and that runner. Didn't get too much of anything else done though haha, poor problems.
Weather was feeling nice, so I think that gave me some motivation to do something without being drenched in sweat

Finally got the intake manifold fitted to the head properly. With an oem TPS or even the older version 2 TPS from ktuned, things would fit fine as is, but with the hall effect TPS, the TPS sits retarded close to the radiator. So goodbye to the big boy radiator

I need to re-cut and weld my intake pipe to fit, basically just remove the angle it has to it since the throttle body is straight from the plenum instead of angled like oem. I just sat my pipe in the bay and tried to take a pic that would give me an idea of the final look

Another look at the crazy amount of hood clearance this manifold has. The plenum is really low.

And I just hate not making any progress at all, so something small just to give me something to do and look at. Downstar vtec solenoid cap

....polished it, of course

A different angle because im sure pics in my garage are getting old lol

I was in Downstar mode and figured I'd catch the lug nuts

and there she sits until I can muster up some cash to buy more things.

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
sexy, those wheels look nice as f**k on that car.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Lol I bet your neighbors talk about your car build over dinner

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
sexy, those wheels look nice as f**k on that car.
Thanks boss!!!
Lol I bet your neighbors talk about your car build over dinner

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
hahaha. I hide so much from my neighbors lol, working with the garage door down as much as possible too. When they do see the civic, they probably wonder why I even like it so much

So here's my hack job I periodically dremel'd off of the water pump. I left it like this because you can't see it anyway when the manifold is on, so it doesn't bother me.

Got frustrated a couple times with checking fitment and put a couple of slits in the water pump housing haha. It's clearly best to just completely take off that top portion, but I was curious to see just how much you have to remove so I stuck with it.

the hack job isn't such an eyesore with the manifold on as a distraction from it

i dont know....i just take pics sometimes...

Don't remember what it's like to be in this part of the car

Some random things to cure my itch to buy parts and make progress

regular stuff a lot of people have

Figured since i'm doing some AN, might as well do the overflow line as well.

Trying to decide where I want to put the radiator overflow. I don't really care if it's hidden, just somewhere neat and easy to access.

Finally sold my radiaor, fans, hoses, and some valvetrain I don't need, so I might finally be able to grab the Rywire radiator and then i'll buy some braided hose and the fittings I need to make it all work. Also need to hit up Autofair Honda for the tractuff adapter. I just may do some work with this RBB head

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Got a few more random bits to get closer to finishing this up. Got my AN fittings and new inlet for my throttle body.

3.5" vband inlet....going to be changed out for a 3.5" vanjen though

AN fittings

I figured why not, and got one of these to make things easier

regular inlet removed

vband inlet in place.

here, I just wanted to see how it will sort of look installed

random boredom pics

Started the hoses on one end before I get my radiator in. I just wanted something to do

Also grabbed a k-tuned throttle cable because my stock HX one wasn't going to work anymore with the new throttle body placement.

That's all for now....back to the patience game for me.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Got in touch with Vibrant through K-Tuned and they helped me purchase a 3.5" vanjen assembly.

Also got this bad boy in the mail!!!

This fitting was beat to hell right out of the box. I was a bit worried about that, but it threaded in fine and I just teflon taped the hell out of it.

Radiator sat in front of the core support perfectly and sits behind the bumper with no mods. I may trim some of the lower portion of my bumper because the radiator sits on it a little bit when I test fitted it. But that was in a slightly lower position than it will be when I finish mounting it, so I may not need to modify anything at all.

good old zip ties ftw

and that's it, nothing special. Im getting anxious to drive my car.

mportedcivicsi

Respected
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Looking great man! While I'm not big into the tucked radiator thing for tuck reasons, I've considered it pending research on improved cooling abilities. I need to look into it more =)

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Looking great man! While I'm not big into the tucked radiator thing for tuck reasons, I've considered it pending research on improved cooling abilities. I need to look into it more =)
I wasn't either. I chose it for functionality and for the space. It's actually a better radiator than I had before. 3" thick and dual pass, and it also leaves room for the warm air to escape the bay. My other full sized radiator brought in a ton of hot air when the fans kicked on and it just turned my bay into an oven. IAT's would slowly and constantly rise each time the fans turned on.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Changed up slightly, I'm using the 45* outlet instead just to make the upper hose installation a bit easier. The straight outlet works if you remove the little stopper bolt that sits underneath the outlet so that the ktuned outlet will point straight downward slightly. I figured, instead of "making it work" I should just get this outlet and do it the easy way.

Then for the radiator install, I moved it inward just a little bit and cut the center section of the core support out. It moved things backwards maybe half an inch.

Had some extra downstar hardware, so I used that to mount the radiator

Also, in the meantime, I've been polishing up a Ktuned coilpack cover. It's a bit thicker than the original covers, so I need to install it differently so that it will sit flush with the valve cover, it's loosely in place in the pics.

Just some random pic...

A little hard to see with the contrast, but the two derale 8" fans are wired up and it's ran underneath the radiator and leads back to the oem fan wiring

just another hood clearance pic....the plenum sits super low

front bumper back on with no trimming or anything

blandsarcasm

Respected
Registered VIP
jesus that looks good! of course you polished the coilpack cover and used downstar hardware to mount the rad.. drool. even the radiator itself is polished and youll just barely be able to see it peeking out from inside the bumper :cool:

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Coming together nicely Kerry. Any idea when she might be back on the road? What all still needs to be done?

civhatch92

That's my honda.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I was looking at doing a tucked radiator as well! I cant decided between that Rywire or chasebays.
Did the fans come pre-wired with a single connector that plugs into the stock harness connector?

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
oooooohhh, I like you guys on here...you ask legit questions!

jesus that looks good! of course you polished the coilpack cover and used downstar hardware to mount the rad.. drool. even the radiator itself is polished and youll just barely be able to see it peeking out from inside the bumper :cool:
Man I had to polish that coilpack cover, it was a one off piece that was anodized gold lol. The radiator actually came polished! I was happy about that, I just touched it up a little bit more. From some angles, you can see the 3" top of the radiator through the CTR grill, so I can still show off the shine a little bit. I do go overboard with the polishing haha. Too many Coronas when I'm in the garage :alcoholic
Coming together nicely Kerry. Any idea when she might be back on the road? What all still needs to be done?
Thanks dude. It shouldn't be long now. I only need a Tractuff adapter for the head which routes the coolant from the thermostat to the head and that's it. I was waiting on another fitting to arrive before I did my upper coolant hose, which arrived today, along with my vanjen inlet for the throttle body. Besides that adapter, I think im going to pick up some fresh spark plugs and that's it. So I'm really close. JTran has been on me about finishing it up too because he's a little anxious to put it on the dyno. I think after tuning Bizzy's 306whp crx in my sig, he's hyped for some all motor action.

I was looking at doing a tucked radiator as well! I cant decided between that Rywire or chasebays.
Did the fans come pre-wired with a single connector that plugs into the stock harness connector?
I haven't checked out the chasebays radatior, but the details I like about this one is that it's dual pass, and the mounting points give you some options for installing, an upper and lower spot and the brackets can be flipped to give you more space if need be.

The dual fans are individually wired. I hate doing wiring myself, so that part sucked, but it's really simple anyway. I did it the lazy way and used quick splices and extended the wire back to the oem connection.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I did it the lazy way and used quick splices and extended the wire back to the oem connection.
Well, that meets the quota of one thing you were actually lazy about in this otherwise beautifully detailed engine build.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
LOL. Yeah, i'm guilty. I hate wiring.