CHILD'S *EK* ... finally i have an EK

civhatch92

That's my honda.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I'm looking into getting that radiator.. could you tell me the thickness of it as the site doesn't say how thick the radiator is. I need to know for mockup purposes of my FMIC.
Did you bolt the brackets to existing spots on the body or are those holes you drilled and just puts nuts on?
I tried calling Rywire but they never answer.. whats the ETA on shipping for these.. are they in stock normally?
Thanks!

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm looking into getting that radiator.. could you tell me the thickness of it as the site doesn't say how thick the radiator is. I need to know for mockup purposes of my FMIC.
Did you bolt the brackets to existing spots on the body or are those holes you drilled and just puts nuts on?
I tried calling Rywire but they never answer.. whats the ETA on shipping for these.. are they in stock normally?
Thanks!
It measure just under 3" thick. The width on the site is from end to end and top to bottom, not just the core. I drilled 2 small holes for the brackets to have bolts ran through them. I believe they have some in stock because mine shipped out the same day I paid via USPS. With the options of mounting it, you shouldn't have an issue fitting it behind the intercooler. I have mine pretty far forward and I still have room underneath the core support

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well, I tried to use some PTFE hose for my radiator hoses which worked fine for the lower hose, but the upper hose needed too much of a bend in a short space so it would crease so I ditched that idea and went with the usual braided hose.

the lower hose

That little wiggle in the upper hose was what gave me problems with the other style of hose

trimmed up my hondata IMG for the tractuff adapter. Should have that in a few days

I'm still not used to the look of it with the tucked radiator

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I think it looks awful. This build has taken a horrible turn for the worse. You should start all over with an original engine. In fact. I feel so bad for how badly you messed up that I'll be gracious enough to donate my engine in exchange for yours. So you dont feel anymore embarrassed, I'll let you help me swap it too.

pmac193

Thundermuff
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^ agreed and paint the wiper arms :mrgreen:

keeps getting cleaner and cleaner, good stuff

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I think it looks awful. This build has taken a horrible turn for the worse. You should start all over with an original engine. In fact. I feel so bad for how badly you messed up that I'll be gracious enough to donate my engine in exchange for yours. So you dont feel anymore embarrassed, I'll let you help me swap it too.
=( the feels......you have successfully hit me right in them haha.

^ agreed and paint the wiper arms :mrgreen:

keeps getting cleaner and cleaner, good stuff
I would paint the arms, but they have been painted before and you see where that got me lol. I have the part numbers and i'm going to just buy them new eventually. Since i'm finally wrapping up this engine bay stuff, i'll be replacing things slowly here and there to refresh the car.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I would paint the arms, but they have been painted before and you see where that got me lol. I have the part numbers and i'm going to just buy them new eventually. Since i'm finally wrapping up this engine bay stuff, i'll be replacing things slowly here and there to refresh the car.
Why not just have the wiper arms powder coated so you dont have to worry about them again?

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Why not just have the wiper arms powder coated so you dont have to worry about them again?
Figured the oem coating will last long enough to stay clean. Mine weren't painted with automotive paint so they were bound to chip again. I also figured the oem price is just as much to powder coat them and I don't have to bother with trusting someone to do the work.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I haven't updated in awhile since I haven't been enjoying the car unfortunately, but oh well.
I grabbed the tractuff adapter I needed eventually and got the car up and running.

Took it around the block and just made a couple short video clips just out of excitement of having the car running again.

HERE'S A COUPLE OF VIDEOS
2nd gear 3/4 throttle into vtec by Kerry Smith, on Flickr

3/4 acceleration to top of 5th gear by Kerry Smith, on Flickr

Then the start of my troubles.....dyno day. Two things started crapping out on me, my timing chain tensioner and 2 exhaust valves. Early in the pulls we would hear something hit but couldn't figure out what it was. It only happened twice and then nothing and the car was still running fine besides some struggles to get a smooth idle.

Finished the day on the rollers with 281whp. Made more power everywhere with the intake manifold and no intake in place. Power also carried further now, up to 9000 rpm. I wasn't willing to rev higher. I have stock rods still just with ARP rod bolts in them. Power also plateaus around 8000 and sits at 278-281 from 8000 to 9000 rpm. So I think that's where the stock port RBB head is killing me.

After the dyno session, took the car home and it sat there until the next day. The following day, I brought the car out to go play, and after meeting with some friends, all of a sudden I couldn't start the car up. A blessing in disguise, my intake manfold had cracks at runners 2,3, and 4 :thud: Towed the car to JTran's and we welded up the cracks a few times over. Apparently, there's too much weight on the front on the intake manifold with the 90mm tb there and it needed a brace like how oem manifolds come. So i'll have to do something about that. K-Tuned was very helpful with the situation and are designing a brace for the manifold and contacted Magnus about making the changes to them.

Guess that's the downside to pre-release parts haha. Thankfully that happened because after we welded the manifold and attempted to start the car, that's when my tensioner completely failed on me and the exhaust valves got bent bad. Luckily no other damage was done to the engine.

so tore the heart out again to get this all sorted out

You can tell which valves to a s**t....

Time to say goodbye to this head for the meantime. I might use it for a second setup I have in mind

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Just a random shot with my homies clean track prepped ITR he's doing

That beefy K-Tuned big tube header

Huge thanks to JTran, Status CC, and BizzyWorx for helping me to get this rebuild back together hella quick. I brought out my ported PRB head to be used, Bizzy supplied me with Supertech flat faced valves 35/30, and JTran got my machine work on the head done in like 2 days.

Both of these are bent

Ported PRB ready to go

Autofair Honda with the OEM 88mm headgasket. Thanks Ryan and Colin!

moved my valvetrain over to the PRB head

Makes my TSX head look tiny...

Bizzy helping me to get the engine together while I run back and forth doing photo and video every few minutes lol

4Piston K600

Waiting on a new oem tensioner to come in, should arrive today.....while im at work :thud: but things are coming together.

uhm.....oem cam gears lol

Just waiting on that tensioner and we can finish up and i'll throw it back in the car and then on the dyno

going for the most carbon fiber lip scratches in one year award

Another small thing I want to fix, I want to tuck my muffler up a bit higher under the car

Hovering over some of the monsters at JTran. Silver single turbo automatic Z making 650 @16 psi....twin turbo custom painted Z in the middle, and the black and carbon fiber twin turbo track jtran sponsored 370 up front......and my little bitty 4 banger lol.

I'm sure i'll update quickly if I'm happy with the car, and if i'm bumming, i'll disappear and go cry in a corner lol. Going to stick with the same old recipe again, no other changes besides the head and valves, 9000 rpm limit, 93 pump gas, and hopefully I keep the midrange I picked up with the intake manifold! I'm happy with the peak power as is.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I cant help but feel that our builds are twin opposites in the difficulty spectrum yet on the same base of black 1997 Civic HXs. I'm always doing small subtle cosmetic upgrades and fine-tuning the stock engine while you go ape-sh*t on your essentially full custom engine swap build. Its funny to me.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I cant help but feel that our builds are twin opposites in the difficulty spectrum yet on the same base of black 1997 Civic HXs. I'm always doing small subtle cosmetic upgrades and fine-tuning the stock engine while you go ape-sh*t on your essentially full custom engine swap build. Its funny to me.
We're doing the community a favor in a way. Showing the broad spectrum of builds. I like it! You're my alter ego haha!

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Soooooooo....the timing chain tensioner arrived while I was away at work and Bizzy decided to put everything together and back into the car. That part was good news....bad news, He mentioned that he couldn't get timing perfectly inline and it made me think back to when I messed with it myself and remembered the cam gear markings being slightly off when it was actually properly in time, so I thought nothing of it.

I found out later, like after the engine was in the car and on and off the dyno, that the timing was actually closer to a half a tooth off. I'm fairly certain I had some chain stretch and I'll be replacing that when I get the chance. During the time I was away, JTran decided to do a quick back to back test on my engine with my K-Tuned manifold and Bizzy's Skunk2 Ultra race manifold with the cnc 156 port job. This is something we 3 discussed doing awhile back but now we finally had the chance. I arrived at the shop just as the pulls with the Skunk2 Ultra had finished up...

skunk2 ultra race with the cnc port

Some have asked me why I didn't choose a Skunk2 intake manifold for myself, and honestly the only real reason why I didn't is because I don't like how it looks. Anyone who has followed my thread knows that I like shiny stuff regardless of how it works lol. That's just me, I'm weird like that. =)

and some shots with the K-Tuned manifold on. Both were tested that same way, open throttle body, my same fuel rail and injectors and everything. Literally just swapped manifolds.

A couple things first, I'd like to make it clear that I have no bias towards either product, the test was done initially out of my own curiosity (as you've seen I like testing every little thing I can). My personal speculation was that the K-Tuned manifold would do a little better in the midrange and then be beaten out on the top end. Everyone else at the shop and friends I spoke with about the test all figured the Skunk2 Ultra would beat out the K-Tuned manifold everywhere. This test on mine peaked the curiosity of others at the shop and we may have more tests to show later on.

Here was the uncorrected results (Gotta throw that uncorrected in there since I became satan all of a sudden because JTran didn't use a common correction factor when he posted it)

Johnny Tran's quote from the test
"
Ktuned manifold vs ultra series intake manifold this morning. Zero cam angle. Afr at 12.9 on 31 degrees of timing. Vtec engaging at 6750. K24 with 12.5 pistons and k20 head with k600 cams with a mild port. Ktuned in blue and ultra in red. Posting results for purely comparison. Will be trying the Ktuned @bizzy625 engine next and have a complete comparison on two totally different setups so you can reference later! We support both @skunk2racing @skunk2dave @ktuned . Both products are awesome! @heychildstar thanks for donating your vehicle for testing!!!!!
"

Bizzy's engine is a 10,500rpm 2.3L stroked z1 with Skunk2 ultra 4 cams, Skunk2 full valvetrain with flat faced valves, 4Piston 156 prb head, CP 12.5:1 pistons, Carrillo rods, s2k oil pump, running e85. He previously made 306 whp with his skunk2 ultra race on with open throttle body just like tested here. So we'll see how things look on his setup since I'm willing to pull mine off for the test.

My thoughts afterwards, I believe the skunk2 ultra with that cnc port and the 1L spacer they offer will make a pretty even match with the K-Tuned manifold (on my setup at least). The power difference down low could be contributed to the rise in temp and humidity, but the power difference up top got pretty big. I'm no scientist, these are just my thoughts.

The VTC being disabled and 0 cam angle was due to the timing issue. If I was there I would've stopped the engine build to correct the chain problem before proceeding but oh well. I'm pretty excited after seeing how the car performed with no VTC, so I know power will just go up from here. Looks like I may coincidentally make a 300 hp 93 pump gas car lol.

After all that, JTran welded up an intake for me. Same as before, 3.5" piping with 3.5" velocity stack. My old intake wouldn't work because it had a bit of a twist to it. Johnny preferred to make a new intake rather than chopping up the old one to make this one

I still need to do a few things like, fab a bracket for my intake piping. I never used a vanjen before and the weight of the filter and vstack makes the intake droop down. Also I need to finish making an overflow for the radiator. So i'm right back to standby mode now until I get this stuff sorted out...chain, overflow, intake, and a few misc bolts that I want to replace.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
so on point! were there any results to be seen from the manifolds on the crx?
The CRX literally just got off the dyno yesterday with it. Basically the same results. A lot more midrange power and peak power picked up as well. Before with the skunk2 ultra, he hit the 300 whp mark around 10,250 rpm.....now it hit's 300 whp at 9500 and still climbs