chipped key? new key? key key?

soon2bsick

Registered VIP
hey guys, couple questions

I have a 97 ex and I was wondering if the standard key for this is chipped or whatever you call it, its just the standard key with the black housing on the top.

the reason I am asking is I just bought this thing and it only has 1 key and 2 aftermarket (goes with the alarm system) keyless remotes. the key I have doesn't fit the seat locks in the back panel, not positive what else it doesn't fit I just know it turns the car on. My dad's friend is a locksmith and I'll be around his way tomorrow so I was going to see if he could make me another key but obviously cant if its chipped so are these or do I need to get one from honda or something?

thanks guys

dorcus

Old f**ker
5+ Year Member
I have a 97 dx and all my locks are on the same key. Sounds like someone changed some cylinders on yours at some point. I have had copies of my keys made and they work fine. You might want to look into changing all your locks to one key or at least getting keys made for the rest.

soon2bsick

Registered VIP
I don't know that it doesnt fit everything else cause I haven't tried (keyless works fine) and I'm not worried about it not fitting the backseat unlocks cause its easier to open them form the trunk tabs anyways. I just need to know if these keys are chipped to see if I can have just a regular lock smith make me more or not

spoon egg

Teeth Doctor
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
no, they're not chipped. Honda didn't start chipping civic keys until 2001. You can; for the most part, tell if a key has an immobilizer chip by the blinking green light on the instrument panel when you take the key out of the ignition.

soon2bsick

Registered VIP
no, they're not chipped. Honda didn't start chipping civic keys until 2001. You can; for the most part, tell if a key has an immobilizer chip by the blinking green light on the instrument panel when you take the key out of the ignition.

oh sweet, thank you. This will help me out a ton