Chipped p28, now car won't start?!?!

Shogun

is cool
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok, I just got my p28 in today. I put it in, then I resetted the ecu for 10 min. now the car won't start, I put my borrowed chipped p30 back in and the car started right up. any ideas?????

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
is everything intact inside the p28? check the software

Shogun

is cool
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
mavrick said:
is everything intact inside the p28? check the software
see thats the thing. I still haven't opened it up because the guy that I bought it from said that if will void the warranty if I open it, which is very very gay. i'm still gonna open it up and have one of my friends look at it since I really don't know very much about ecu's.

qwikxr

former PCM#3
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Uhm.. where'd you get it?
Apparently the seller did a spoof job on programming..

qwikxr

former PCM#3
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well, he's got 188 xactions, 100%, so he's apparently legit..
I'd shoot him an email, see what he says about it..
Don't shoot yourself in the foot by opening it, if he'll back his work up..
Should ckeck with www.j-k-tuning.com

edit:
Hell, sometimes, even "I" sound like I know what I'm talking about.. :shock: But I wouldn't trust me.. :rolf:

Last edited:

Shogun

is cool
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ok, I just sent him a pm. if he doesn't know what is wrong, them i'm opening the SOB up.

qwikxr

former PCM#3
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
oh, forgot to ask.. no wait. nevermind..

was gonna ask if you had the harness, but you're already obd1.. :hitlol:

93turbo16

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Do you hear the fuel pump prime and does it throw a CEL?

93turbo16

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Shogun said:
nah, I don't hear it prime and it doesn't throw a CEL.
If the fuel pump doesn't prime, then there is a capacitor inside the ecu that goes bad, and takes out the incoming 12V for the ecu, so it never really powers up. Take the cover off and smell for a nasty fishy smell = blown capacitor.

93b16hatch

Felony Racing LLC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Shogun said:
ok, I just got my p28 in today. I put it in, then I resetted the ecu for 10 min. now the car won't start, I put my borrowed chipped p30 back in and the car started right up. any ideas?????
Sounds like the p28 might be bad. Does the CEL light come on then shut off? If it doesnt come on at all or if you throw a solid CEL the ECU is bad. The person should allow you to exchange the ECU if the ecu is bad. Most people test the ECUs before they go out but some dont. I've seen some people receive bad ECUs (i've personaly had to fix a couple ecus that people have bought from other ECU chipping companies) You shoulda bought a ECU from me and not eBay ;) j/k Also you dont have to reset the ECU every time you change it. =)

Shogun

is cool
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
93b16hatch said:
Sounds like the p28 might be bad. Does the CEL light come on then shut off? If it doesnt come on at all or if you throw a solid CEL the ECU is bad. The person should allow you to exchange the ECU if the ecu is bad. Most people test the ECUs before they go out but some dont. I've seen some people receive bad ECUs (i've personaly had to fix a couple ecus that people have bought from other ECU chipping companies) You shoulda bought a ECU from me and not eBay ;) j/k Also you dont have to reset the ECU every time you change it. =)
the CEL does come on then shut off. I'm prolly just gonna send it back to him and get my money back, then i'll prolly buy another chipped ecu from a actual website or something like that.

henkz0r

Unobtanium Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

Shogun

is cool
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
henkz0r said:
Man, I feel bad that you bought a prefab ECU for your GSR powered hatch. Why don't you get one of the locals here to tune for you on Crome? I can get you several guys that'll do it for fairly cheap. Street-tuned or dyno-tuned.
well, I was thinking about it. Do you know Jonathon Ransom? him and my bro are really good friends so I might see what he thinks about it. Are there any dynos in m-boro? the only one i've heard of is in Nashville and its a RWD dyno.

henkz0r

Unobtanium Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Shogun said:
well, I was thinking about it. Do you know Jonathon Ransom? him and my bro are really good friends so I might see what he thinks about it. Are there any dynos in m-boro? the only one i've heard of is in Nashville and its a RWD dyno.
Jransom? does he have the h22 5g hatch? Otherwise, no. I don't know him. (everyone in my cellphone has their car after their name, not their last name, haha.)

There's a DynoJet at The Performance Garage in Smyrna behind the National Guard off of Weakley Lane. The guy there is real cool and always accomodating after-hours (5pm-8pm) dyno tuning for the working stiffs.

a100100

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
henkz0r said:
Jransom? does he have the h22 5g hatch? Otherwise, no. I don't know him. (everyone in my cellphone has their car after their name, not their last name, haha.)

thats hardcore. haha...nice.:headbang: