1. ClubCivic is now on Instagram! Follow us at clubcivicdotcom. Want your photos features? Tag or DM us, use #clubcivicdotcom, or email us your photos to photos@clubcivic.com

Civic 93 delay to turn off the check light (engine doesn't start while CEL on)

Discussion in '5th Generation Honda Civic (1992-1995)' started by ElMaq, Feb 9, 2017.

Welcome to ClubCivic a Honda Civic Forum

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and honda civic car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the Members Ride's to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

1. ElMaq

ElMaq Respected

Hi!

I have a Civic 93 1.5 (D15b7) sedan that never gave me any problems until 2016 when it started the following problem:

When I turn the key on, the Check Engine light is on. The normal is to turn off after 2 sec. When you turn the key, you can't hear the click of the relay or the fuel pump working.

Then I leave the key turned on, after about 30 seconds to 90 seconds, you hear the click of the relay and the pump working. So the light turn off and I crank and immediatellythe car starts fine without any problem.

Once it get it work, the more I drive, the less it happens this problem. Example: when I leave home, it takes 1 minute to turn the light off, but if I stop at gas station, I turn the key on and the check engine light will turn off normal (2 seconds).

Replaced: brand new fuel pump, BN main relay relay, BN filters, BN TDC / CRK / CYL sensors, used ECU.

Gets the same symptom.

I've checked grounds, connectors, all fine. The car never got water inside.

I made the jumper and did not retrieve any code

WHILE CHECK ENGINE IS ON, CAR CRANKS BUT WON'T START

Does anyone have any idea what is this?

regards from Rio

2. boofoo

boofoo Respected Registered VIP

This type of problem is usually caused by a bad ECU if you ruled out a bad main relay. The used ECU you bought may also be bad. There are a lot of bad P06 ECUs around after 25 years.

3. ElMaq

ElMaq Respected

Boofoo, I think you're right. I leaved my ECU on automotive electronic repair. They repair ECU, keys, alarms, cd players and amplifiers. I'll post result when he finish repair

5SpeedEJ6 likes this.
  4. SD_760

SD_760 New Member

Yo I got the sameee problem. I just picked up this 93 Civic Lx sedan. Solid check engine , cranks won't start. New battery new plugs , wires new distributor ( prev owner did all this) I just replaced o rings for one injector and tightened fuel rail. I'm buying a volt meter so I can go through the steps I seen on Glennh post about fuel pump not priming. Gonna hit pick your part and grab a ecu today cuz it's 50% off. Keep u posted w what happens

5. boofoo

:thumbup:

6. SD_760

SD_760 New Member

Didn't find the right ecu so I ordered one off eBay for 80$. Picked up some random parts , including an OEM main relay - Ok so I jumped the main relay connector from 1-7 and 5-7. the fuel pump would prime at 1-7 but not at 5-7. All the fuses are good. This was a 1-owner car 129k original miles. Nothing has been touched. No signs of rats. i just barely got this car so im still looking to see what's going on. I figure I'll replace the ECU and if that doesent work I'll go buy a nice multimeter and start poking around. I'll start to post pics in a bit and try to be thorough.

7. boofoo

Dash fuse 24 may be blown if the 5-7 test does not work. Redo the test to verify the result.

8. SD_760

SD_760 New Member

Ok I just re did the test , 5-7 no pump prime , replaced fuse 24 with new 15 amp fuse , retried , nothing.

9. boofoo

Do you have a multimeter? Voltage test fuse 24 to see whether it gets voltage from the ignition switch and sends voltage to the main relay.

10. civteck

civteck Respected

Get a meter and proceed.. #1 tool in your bag, let us know when your ready.

Sent from my boujea ass phone

11. SD_760

SD_760 New Member

Ok great I'll swoop one up in the morning

12. SD_760

SD_760 New Member

11.94 volts from one tab of fuse 24 and .29 volts on the other side ? Went back and forth about 4 times same results IMG_3771.JPG IMG_3772.JPG

13. boofoo

Nice job.

Your result unambiguously shows that fuse 24 is blown.

If you unplug the main relay and then turn key to ON(II), does the fuse blow again?

14. SD_760

SD_760 New Member

No I just put a new one in and both tabs read identical ... nothing has changed though

15. boofoo

The wire that runs from the dash fuse box to the main relay or the dash fuse box itself has a short to ground. Fix the short, fix the problem.

You may have purchased a new ECU prematurely.

16. SD_760

SD_760 New Member

Haha okay well I'm trying to keep the speed up on this project - Build thread in progress but trying to get it running first

17. SD_760

SD_760 New Member

image.jpg What the ... found this sucker tucked away deep and the next one image.jpg
    Also my key ring came with a viper alarm clicker the kid had no idea about an alarm system cuz his aunt gave it to him ...

18. boofoo

Only relevant if one of the wires attaches to the dash fuse box or main relay. Do they?

19. SD_760

SD_760 New Member

image.jpg
    Sorry my keyboard stopped working I had to reboot phone. Was wondering if the tab was not properly clamped to the wire if it would be causing an issue but that wire was going into a1

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
  20. boofoo

When you post pictures, state the relevance.