Civic EJ8: Junkyard Manual Swap Parts Help!

lubuis

Respected
Going to hit up some junk yards soon and looking to take the transmissions out of some manual civics. Problem: Will taking the transmission and shifter from a junkyard be all? I know I have to get different mounts and the pedal assembly, but I can buy those online.

Question: Do I still need to buy the flywheel and all the other stuff for the clutch? Or will pulling out the transmission from an old manual civic have all those parts?

I have a 99 Civic EX Auto

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/threads/auto-to-manual-complete-part-list.157624/

^ Parts you need.

As for flywheel, it depends. It will be bolted to the motor and you'll need to detach the tranny and then the pressure plate to get to the flywheel. You'll need 12 pt 17mm socket to get it off. If the flywheel looks good and doesn't have a bunch of hotspots, you can reuse it, but I would recommend getting it resurfaced anyways to be safe. I'd get a brand new clutch kit though... don't reuse the one from the junkyard.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/threads/auto-to-manual-complete-part-list.157624/

^ Parts you need.

As for flywheel, it depends. It will be bolted to the motor and you'll need to detach the tranny and then the pressure plate to get to the flywheel. You'll need 12 pt 17mm socket to get it off. If the flywheel looks good and doesn't have a bunch of hotspots, you can reuse it, but I would recommend getting it resurfaced anyways to be safe. I'd get a brand new clutch kit though... don't reuse the one from the junkyard.
the bolt pattern for auto and manual one are same flywheel. It would just get new one or resurfaced one

lubuis

Respected

^ Parts you need.

Yea I read about those parts, but can I just take all those parts from a manual civic. As for the clutch kit, I am buying a new one. I want to minimize my online ordering as much as possible if I can get all of those parts from a junkyard

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yea I read about those parts, but can I just take all those parts from a manual civic. As for the clutch kit, I am buying a new one. I want to minimize my online ordering as much as possible if I can get all of those parts from a junkyard
You could. The slave cylinder is pretty cheap new, the master cylinder should be under $100 new IIRC. I'd get new clutch lines too. The Pedals you can take out, the ECU if the donor car has Vtec as well, reverse and speed sensors you can pull, tranny mount you can pull.