Civic newb

NismoZ

Respected
Hey honda guys, im interested in starting a 6th gen hatch build and have zero experience in hondas. I currently have a nismo z that just has minor bolt ons but soon to get boost, a rx8 turbo that i built ,and a procharged mach 1 stang. Ive been in the car scene for a long time but never had any hondas and have always dug the 6th gen hatch style. Im looking for around 350 fwhp that can be driven daily and reliably. I read a little about b series and k motors but like i said I really have no experience with hondas. Would an s2k swap be difficult due to the rwd format? How difficult would a rwd swap be? Thats the direction I'd most like to go but cost will probably lead me to keep it fwd. Any advice would be awesome. Thanks guys..

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Im looking for around 350 fwhp that can be driven daily and reliably.
Very doable to obtain that power. Though for it to be a daily and reliable....? Cheap, Fast, Reliable. Pick two out of the three, you'll never get the 3rd one.

I read a little about b series and k motors but like i said I really have no experience with hondas.
B or K series will be your best bet. K series is a bit more difficult to swap to than a B series. B series drops right in; just need to change a couple mounts. K series will require some more custom work but it's been done.

Would an s2k swap be difficult due to the rwd format? How difficult would a rwd swap be? Thats the direction I'd most like to go but cost will probably lead me to keep it fwd. Any advice would be awesome. Thanks guys..
Not impossible, but you'd be spending a LOT of money and time on it. Pretty much you'd need custom everything. You'd have a better bet swapping to a AWD with an B20 from a CRV, but even then it wouldn't be worth it due to how heavy the transmission is. I have heard of a few SR20DET swaps from a Nissan though.

My honest recommendation, a B or K series engine with boost.

NismoZ

Respected
I already have a few other rides bud. But, I've always been a big fan of the civic hatch body style. I will probably leave it as a fwd just because if cost. I did see a really cool example on YouTube with the s2k powerplant and rwd. Im certain that would end up being much more than I'd like to invest. Is it even possible to swap the s2k in without switching it out? Also I'd really like to go all motor. In your opinion which swap would be best? Thanks buddy and thanks to everyone for the advice and comments.. I definitely look forward to joining the honda community

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I already have a few other rides bud. But, I've always been a big fan of the civic hatch body style. I will probably leave it as a fwd just because if cost. I did see a really cool example on YouTube with the s2k powerplant and rwd. Im certain that would end up being much more than I'd like to invest. Is it even possible to swap the s2k in without switching it out? Also I'd really like to go all motor. In your opinion which swap would be best? Thanks buddy and thanks to everyone for the advice and comments.. I definitely look forward to joining the honda community
If you want to go all-motor, you just made it a bit harder to get 350whp. You also just raised the cost compared to boosting.

That being said, what's your budget?

NismoZ

Respected
Also as far as doing something like the sr20 swap I've never been a fan of cross manufacturer swaps. If I were to do that though I have been wanting to swap my turbo renesis in the RX8 for a 3rd gen 13b. If I end up doing that I think the rotary swap would end up being really cool,different,and a blast to drive. The 8 currently makes about 300 to wheels with the current set up. Its light,revs to 9k ,snd thr sound it makes is awesome

NismoZ

Respected
Yeah, I assumed going the all motor route would add to the cost. I stated previously that I would like it to be a daily driver but what I should have said is im looking for daily driver reliability. I just want something I can take to meets and occasionally take to the strip. I'll use my Z or RX8 for road course duties.I feel like a fwd making that kind of power will have crazy understeer in the twisties.. I could be wrong there though. Budget cant be extreme with all the other cars I have. It may take awhile to do the build as I'm not rich by any means. I just love cars.. not including the cost of the car I'd like to be at q total around 10k. All work will be done by me excluding the tuning. Nobody cares about your car as much as you is how I see it. Besides the build is half the fun

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
With that budget I think you should be fine. Why no boost, though? A motor such as the B18B holds boost very well, reliably. I managed 250whp on mine with stock block and stock head with a .60 trim. I could have easily gotten more if I had built the internals. It was also my daily and other than blowing the charge piping off a couple times, once it was up and running it never gave me any major issues.

NismoZ

Respected
The main couple reasons why I'd like to skip the boost on this build is for the reliability factor. Im definitely not completely opposed to it though. Also, i just really love the idea of small displacement making over 100/liter and being able to rub it into my brothers face when he sees my tailights. He has a 5xr roush mustang and doesnt know a quarter the knowledge we have. Lol the other day he was arguing with me whilst being a total d**k telling me how inferior my mach 1 is in comparison to his. He tells me im lying about making 417 rwhp which as you know is very believable for the 4.6 with 4v. He tells me that its wrong and in his words the "dyna machine" had to be wrong and that its impossible without pulling the motor..smh..then he tells me his car makes 525 rwhp.he had no idea that cars are rated bhp. He says if a new 5.0 makes 400 hp and you add a sc that it's automatically faster cause the starting number is more. Apparently power to weight, his clown 20 inch chrome wheels, and roushs lack of any kind of suspension mods make no difference. Also Im laying down 17x11s out back with a 315 tire. I could go on about even more foolish s**t he said to me but I'm already long winded enough haha

NismoZ

Respected
Obviously roasting this fool is imperative. Ive not had thr opportunity to do it with the mach 1 yet but how awesome will it be when I bury him with a Honda =) hes pretty much a pompous jerk and thinks that 60 k stang is the baddest thing ever. Imo roush lubed him up for easy access. Lol never buy one of these factory built tuners unless its something real special..like an Evo fq440 or something

NismoZ

Respected
Obviously I'm not going to do a build to just embarrass one person. Its just a bonus that I'd love to run him with a civic and kill him. Its brotherly love. If my only goal was that I would instead spend the loot on the fast intentions tt for my Nismo now and it would be a done deal.