Civic Problem

wickedone541

my 1992 honda civic was running just fine then i went to go start it and it would start but then would die on me. A friend told me that it could be the timing chain or fuel pump so i checked the timing belt and that wasnt it so i changed the fuel pump then it started up but as i was going down the road it died on me and was doing the same thing would start up but then die on me. So i took the negative off the battery to reset the ecu and the car would start up again for a little while before dying again so i am confused and what the problem could be and suggestions would be much appreciated

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My 1992 honda civic would start, then would die on me. A friend told me that it could be the timing chain or fuel pump. i checked the timing belt and that wasnt it, so i changed the fuel pump and it started. I was going down the road and it died, then would start up and die. I took the negative off the battery to reset the ecu and the car would start up again for a little while before dying again. I am confused. Suggestions would be much appreciated
First of all, you didnt post this in the proper section (5th gen Civics). I suggest you actually start researching online because it doesnt sound like you have.

Secondly, you have a timing belt not a chain. If the timing belt was the issue then it would likely be because it was off a tooth or two, which isnt obviously visible, and that normally just doesnt happen on its own. Otherwise, I cant imagine what you thought you could see wrong with the belt to assume that is or isn't the issue.

Thirdly, please be very specific with describing your issues.

- What Civic do you have? VX, CX, SI, DX, auto, manual, CVT?
- Is your car shutting off while in motion (in gear), cruising in neutral, or only when at a dead stop?
- How is it shutting off? Suddenly? Does the RPM totally drop then shut off? Does it sputter then shut off?
- Is your Check Engine light coming on? Have you scanned it for codes?
- Have you had any repairs done recently?
- Have you experienced any recent symptoms or issues building up to this?

Shrillin

Respected
My 98 accord had a similar issue, but in my case -- sometimes it wouldn't start back up right away. I noticed that when it wouldn't start back up I wasn't hearing the fuel pump priming, and a few taps on my main relay got it working again. I think it's a lose solder in the relay, and when tapping on it, it would jiggle the connections inside just enough to make a better contact, at least for long enough to get home. Still haven't changed the darn thing lol... So Rudy_JDM might be on to something! =) Good luck!