CLICK HERE all of you curious about suspension setups and their costs/reliability.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I would drop 1-1.5" on Progress CS-II's and then upgrade to something more aggressive later on. See how you enjoy them first.

1999EM1

John, where'd you get those rims from? I like them a lot. They're 16s right? And if you don't mind me asking, how low are you dropped? Is it 1.8 all around with Eibach Sportlines?

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
John, where'd you get those rims from? I like them a lot. They're 16s right? And if you don't mind me asking, how low are you dropped? Is it 1.8 all around with Eibach Sportlines?
I bought them off someone on Honda-Tech like 2 years ago. I don't know if he's still kicking around. They'd be in the for regular sale section. I don't think he was a sponsor. Yeah they're 16x7, CCW ITR replicas. Look more like NSX wheels if you ask me.

Lowered supposedly 1.8 on sport lines but they seem more like 2-2.5. I tuck stock steelies in the back with factory 185/65/14 tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ek forever guy, how low are you dropped on the Progress CS-IIs? I ordered and received mine already, they're sitting in the garage.

Can you recommend a drop height for a 1999 Civic SI? I don't want any gap, I was thinking 2.25"F/2.0"R. I want to be pretty close to slammed but not, if that makes sense lol.
I wouldn't go lower than around 2" with them.

Funny because Progress says their coilovers are good for 1" to 3". They should be be able to handle 2.25"fine. I'm going to do it anyways.
The coilover can PHYSICALLY go down to a 3" drop, but the shock will not have enough travel. Your suspension needs to MOVE in order to function properly and do it's job. This is where a lot of people fail when they slam their cars.. The spring rates on the Progress coilovers are not high enough(ie: stiff enough) to have a car slammed. The suspension will need travel, but there won't be enough if you're too low.

Damn, then it looks like i bought the wrong coilovers haha. EVERYBODY recommended these here, on Honda Tech, and on Civic Forums. I wanted an aggressive drop, 2" minimum.

Would you say that Progress are better than Skunk 2? My friends 99 LS Integra is dropped 2.75" on Skunk 2s and I love the ride/handling.
Everyone recommeneds them because when used properly, they are exceptional coilovers. Install your coilovers, set your ride height around 2" and go from there. As of right now, this is all guess work. You won't know how you like it until you play with it. You may find that 2" is just perfect both aesthetically and with ride comfort/performance.

1999EM1

I wouldn't go lower than around 2" with them.

The coilover can PHYSICALLY go down to a 3" drop, but the shock will not have enough travel. Your suspension needs to MOVE in order to function properly and do it's job. This is where a lot of people fail when they slam their cars.. The spring rates on the Progress coilovers are not high enough(ie: stiff enough) to have a car slammed. The suspension will need travel, but there won't be enough if you're too low.

Everyone recommeneds them because when used properly, they are exceptional coilovers. Install your coilovers, set your ride height around 2" and go from there. As of right now, this is all guess work. You won't know how you like it until you play with it. You may find that 2" is just perfect both aesthetically and with ride comfort/performance.
Thanks for replying mate. I'll take your advice. So a 2" drop all around on 195/55/R15 sounds good?

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Thanks for replying mate. I'll take your advice. So a 2" drop all around on 195/55/R15 sounds good?
That'll be fine. With that tire size and a 2" drop, you'll probably have the fenders sitting just a tad above the tires. Which sounds like what you want anyways... Go for it.

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Bumping....

Why hasn't this been made a sticky?

I realize the forums purpose is to answer questions but if if the site provides something like this that answers incredibly common questions, it'll clean up the forum more for more serious questions to be asked and answered.

Logan98036wa

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
great write-up. I wish I would have seen this before getting my skunk2 sleeves and sport shocks, they are not quite what I would have liked them to be for the price but definitely not bad

ek forever guy

Registered VIP
What is preload?

This is some new term the kids have created and I've yet to figure it out. I try not to concern myself with nonsense.

I guess I run a bunch or not any at all.

ek forever guy

Registered VIP
Nope, not preloaded at all. Perhaps some, the coil-over was assembled for install. I certainly didn't measure it.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If the spring can't be moved up or down between the spring perch and the top hat, then it is preloaded. A spring that isn't preloaded will give a much more bouncy ride since it's allowing much more suspension travel than what's needed. Progressive rate springs are much longer than linear springs and are technically 'preloaded' on stock suspension when they are compressed for the top hats to be installed.

a non preloaded spring serves no purpose except to make cars extra low. Rides like crap though.

FusionXylerion

'97 Civic Si
5+ Year Member
Have any of you had any experience with the Eibach PRO-STREET-S Coil-overs? I'm thinking of getting them, and would like to know a bit before I get them.

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Have any of you had any experience with the Eibach PRO-STREET-S Coil-overs? I'm thinking of getting them, and would like to know a bit before I get them.
They are waaaaay way over priced for what you get out of them. Very progressive and soft springs, non-adjustable shocks and if you want to go real low, these aren't good for that. You can get a more tuneable suspension OR a coilover setup with nearly identical specs with just as much reliability for ~$150 to ~$400 less than these. The few reviews I've read on these aren't that great. But just by looking at the specs and price for these, it just doesn't make any sense at all to even consider them with others out there that offer more for less.

Koni/GC for $700-$750
Progress CS-2 (which is pretty similar to this Eibach) for $550

riceroni009

dont know if im suppose to post this question here or not and i didnt want to start a new post....anyways here goes. So i had a 98 integra before with Groundcontrol but sold the car kept the sleeves but now i just picked up a 98 civic can i use the sleeve from the integra? any help is appreciated

EJ8GangBro

So I have a 00 civic ex. It's slammed with some no name brand coilovers off ebay with stock shocks. It bounces like crazy and potholes, forget it. I realize this was a huge mistake, so i'm looking to get new suspension with a ~$600 budget. Any advice on what I should get to keep my car low but give it a more bearable ride? Btw, this is a daily driven car. I'm looking at a Tokico HPK suspension setup for about 450. Good deal? Other suggestions are appreciated.

Found a Ground Control coilover combo + Tokico HP Blue shock combo for about 580. How about that?

Last edited by a moderator: