Clock is dimmed and radio won't turn on

mikedeasyidk

5+ Year Member
I was driving my car after putting a new clutch in and I kind of stalled it but caught it at the very end and I was able to save it from stalling. As I did that though, the radio shut off. At first I thought it was from the bump and the wire came undone, but I checked the wiring and it still won't come on. Also, the clock is dimmed and it was reset like the battery was removed. Any suggestions?

RonJ

Banned
Check whether the 7.5A hood Back Up fuse is blown.

mikedeasyidk

5+ Year Member
Yep it was, I don't have any 7.5A fuses nor have I ever heard of one, can I use a bigger fuse on it?

WalkingComplex

Stock As All Hell
Registered VIP
NO, you can fry your wiring. Never use any fuses other than the one specified.

mikedeasyidk

5+ Year Member
I pulled the fuse out to examine it, then went to go somewhere and the car didn't start, so I put the fuse back in and it still won't start.

Mugenn_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I pulled the fuse out to examine it, then went to go somewhere and the car didn't start, so I put the fuse back in and it still won't start.
lmfao, sounds like its time to pull out the old running shoes and take a spirited run to the electronics store for a fuse xD

on a more serious note... do you hear the fuel pump priming at all or nothing at all when u turn the key? mooaaar info !

mikedeasyidk

5+ Year Member
lmfao, sounds like its time to pull out the old running shoes and take a spirited run to the electronics store for a fuse xD

on a more serious note... do you hear the fuel pump priming at all or nothing at all when u turn the key? mooaaar info !
Yep fuel pump primes

mikedeasyidk

5+ Year Member
I just checked the hood fuses and they were all good. It's night out and I can't check for a spark, I will do it tomorrow. What do you think happened? Also, could the battery have commited suicide? The lights and everything still come on.

mikedeasyidk

5+ Year Member
There is a CEL code, too. It's been on for awhile now I just have yet to check it, I will check tomorrow.

mikedeasyidk

5+ Year Member
When it says "While firmly grounding the threads of the spare plug against a metallic portion of the valve cover, have a buddy crank the engine." For the buddy to crank the engine do you just mean try starting it?

RonJ

Banned
When it says "While firmly grounding the threads of the spare plug against a metallic portion of the valve cover, have a buddy crank the engine." For the buddy to crank the engine do you just mean try starting it?
Yes, you need a buddy to turn the ignition key to ON(III).

mikedeasyidk

5+ Year Member
Okay I'm going to test for a spark when I get home.

If I do not have a spark, I'm thinking its probably the dizzy. Do I have to use a dizzy for the d16z6?

mikedeasyidk

5+ Year Member
Haha f**k. I was waiting for my dad to come home from vacation to look at it, once we got out there, I was looking around and noticed that the ground for the starter wasn't connected. I hooked it up and bam, it started right up. Thanks for the help though RonJ.

RonJ

Banned
There are two general types of no-start problems: (1) Starter won't crank engine and (2) Starter does crank engine but it won't fire up and run. You had the first type of problem, but most of us here assumed you had the second type of problem, though we really should have asked.

Advice
If in the future you have a no-start problem, mention at the outset which type you have as troubleshooting and causes may be very different.