Clunking noise in front

94integra-ls

there is a clunking noise around my wheel and I took the wheels off but couldn't figure it out.it clunks when I take off or shift I thought maybe a axle because there is a little play but then someone told me it could be my calipers moving and making that noise.has anyone had this problem or maybe knows what it could be.thanks for any info you guys can help me with and please no bashing if you can't help or you want t be rude keep it to your self

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
honestly, too many things it could be. First, though, I'd check the tie rods. Also, check the bushings and ball joints. Any of those being worn out could cause other components to also wear faster or move around more than they should.

94integra-ls

I checked those and seemed to look good.how about the breaks anything I should be checking there.when I grab my tire and shake it it does move a little could that be hub or something

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Like james said. Theres a ton that it could be. Any grease being thrown from the hub?

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
if you can shake the wheel/tire around then it's usually the tie rods. I recently changed inner/outer tie rods and lower ball joints on my 92, and the clunking stopped. I'd already replaced the bushings several years ago with urethane pieces and the upper control arm/ball joint with a Skunk2 adjustable unit, and those parts were still in good condition. Still need to replace my sway bar endlinks and sway bushings, but so far so good.

94integra-ls

if you can shake the wheel/tire around then it's usually the tie rods. I recently changed inner/outer tie rods and lower ball joints on my 92, and the clunking stopped. I'd already replaced the bushings several years ago with urethane pieces and the upper control arm/ball joint with a Skunk2 adjustable unit, and those parts were still in good condition. Still need to replace my sway bar endlinks and sway bushings, but so far so good.
How will I know if they are bad?

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The bushings didn't appear dried out, cracked, or worn. The upper ball joints didn't have excessive movement

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
if you're fairly new to working on your car, this forum is a great start, but you may also want to read a few car mags (ones with tech articles, not just with girls draped over show cars) and maybe watch a few Youtube clips. Seeing someone else go through the same thing can give you a feel for what to look for, and you can possibly avoid mistakes someone else has already made.

94integra-ls

i found it it's the outer tie rods every loose and clunking.jameswanser not new to cars just didn't get to far into looking because of how hot it was and hoping maybe someone else had similar problem and could maybe point me into the direction to look before I got far into it.

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Glad you found it. And just to be clear, I wasn't bagging on you. I honestly had no idea how comfortable (or knowledgeable) you are with working on your car. Myself, I'm a visual learner, so seeing pictures (or even video) helps me get a better feel for what to expect than just reading text.

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If you're going to change the inner rods as well, might want to borrow an inner tie rod tool (or buy one from someplace like Harbor Freight). I couldn't get the old ones out without it. Just not a lot of room to get a wrench on the inner rods. If only changing the outer rods, then count yourself lucky.
Just make sure to get the alignment checked afterward. Good luck!

94integra-ls

Glad you found it. And just to be clear, I wasn't bagging on you. I honestly had no idea how comfortable (or knowledgeable) you are with working on your car. Myself, I'm a visual learner, so seeing pictures (or even video) helps me get a better feel for what to expect than just reading text.
It's cool man yeah Oma better visoual learner too

94integra-ls

Ok so I changed the inner and outer tie rods witch where really bad but the clunk noise is still there.its when ever I start to move forward or reverse or whenever the car moves forward or reverse.my axles move back and forth a little but knot sure what exactly what it is.also when I turn and put weight on the passenger tire it sounds like a squeak.any ideas or help would be appreciated

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
do the bushings look good, or are they rotted/cracked? also, if you have a front sway bar, how are THOSE bushings looking? It's an older car, so might have to just go thru and refresh all the rubber parts, possibly even balljoints

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
Just an idea, can you feel this clunk when it happens? If not, I would check my engine mounts to rule them out.