clunking noise on suspension

badestkid

i bought a new 2008 honda civic hybrid and i found out that it has a clunking noise when i go over bumps. that noise was comeing out of the front right suspension. i replaced the shocks but it was still making that noise when i go over bumps, also when i go over bumps it pulls the car to the left a little bit. i didnt do alignment after changed it.can anyone tell me what can be causing the noise and the pull? also i noticed that the top strut plate of the shocks was alittle bent and didnt turn easily.

1993DX

Clunking would most likely be worn ball joints or bushings.

A bent upper strut mount would make me want to check out the suspension geometry pretty good... How is it bent exactly?

Can you post pics?

Mugen.Kid

5+ Year Member
I recently installed F2 Type 1's on my EK and have a similar problem. I have a popping/harsh sound when I get the front right wheel over any bumps, etc. in the road. All the other corners are more of a firm "thud" whereas the front passenger side is like a "pop"/"clunk."

Xx96CoupexX

5+ Year Member
i have this same problem accept the rear passenger side, and its usually only when i turn right that it makes the noise but if i go over any bump it makes the noise.. i thought maybe it could be the control arm bushings?

Mugen.Kid

5+ Year Member
I am going to my mechanic tomorrow to see what is going on with the suspension. I hope nothing is wrong with my coilovers as that would be a PITA to send them back to Function and Form, put the old ones back, wait for new ones, etc...

I also called the place where I bought my suspension and they said that it would most likely be the ball joints or bushings.. but when I took a look myself today, they seemed fine to me. This is really starting to piss me off and I hope that it would be an easy solution..

stateofjustin

The noise can also be a failed or failing top strut/shock bushing. Depending on the construction, replacing it may or may not require compressing the springs. Usually it does require it.

kathermouth

i kinda have the same problem, but its the rears.. whenever i go over bumps or w/e it makes a thud sound, and my car is jumpy. im on stock shocks, im not really sure of whats the noise.. sorry, im still a noob at honda =/

Mugen.Kid

5+ Year Member
I just came back from my mechanic just now and we didn't find any problems. We tightened everything and inspected all bushings, ball joint, etc. And everything looks fine..but guess what, the clunking is still there!!! I'm goimg to go over to where I bought my F2's tomorrow and see if I can get a replacement for that front passenger side..

Mugen.Kid

5+ Year Member
I went to where I bought my suspension this morning and took a ride with one of the guys there to let them hear the sound.. They couldn't figure it out so I went to another place they recommended.. We took a drive around, raised the car on the lift, checked everything and found no problems.. On my way back home, no more clunking :S I guess it fixed itself..? But the one thing that may need to be replaced is the ball-joints on the lower control arm.

4bangincivic

sup
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I went to where I bought my suspension this morning and took a ride with one of the guys there to let them hear the sound.. They couldn't figure it out so I went to another place they recommended.. We took a drive around, raised the car on the lift, checked everything and found no problems.. On my way back home, no more clunking :S I guess it fixed itself..? But the one thing that may need to be replaced is the ball-joints on the lower control arm.
Lifting it may have helped the spring or something settle in the top hat if it was off a bit.

stateofjustin

You may not be able to 'see' a strut top bushing failure from a simple visual inspection. It may require removal and inspection. Usually you can see shock bushing failures without having to take anything apart, but not always depending on design.

If you re-seated a spring that was slightly out of place, you might want to check if you at one time had a rubber bushing at the bottom of the spring seat that has disintegrated or is falling apart. Sometimes when those disappear you get a tiny bit of play that can sometimes cause noise.

Ball joints are either good or bad... they have free play, or they don't. A mechanic should be able to give you a yes or no... no maybe on that one.

Mugen.Kid

5+ Year Member
Just an update...

After three months of driving around with that annoying clunk sound and scringing everytime I hit a bump or crack in the road, I decided to try to see if the sway bar endlinks may be the problem. I replaced them and the clunk was gone for about a day and then started up again. I'm wondering if I should replace all bushings on the sway bar to see if that would help. This seems to be a very common problem with no one knowing the source of it. Again, everyone's car and suspension setup is different..