1. New Forum Software:
    We have finally upgraded the forum software due to it being so outdated. If you are having any issues with new forum please let us know. Please post any issues in this thread http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/threads/clubcivic-com-forum-upgrade.227221/

Clunking noise when turning left

Discussion in 'Wheels / Tires / Brakes / Suspension' started by Civvy4Life, Mar 5, 2011.

Welcome to ClubCivic a Honda Civic Forum

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and honda civic car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the Members Ride's to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

1. Civvy4Life

Civvy4Life New Member 5+ Year Member

Hey everybody,
    I own a 89 crx and I recently redid most of the front end of my car (everything except for springs and struts) and I've noticed this clunking noise when I turn left or hit a bump. The sound is not constant, it only happens intermittently. As I've replaced all the ball joints and both cv's, is it possible the springs/struts are causing this noise?
    Thanks

2. jordan00711

jordan00711 New Member Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

Yes its possible

3. evilrilla2

evilrilla2 New Member Registered VIP

4. Kensai

Kensai ♪♫♪♫♪~ Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member

Since you've replaced the axles next place I would check is wheel bearings.

You can check them by lifting up the front end and grabbing the wheel at 6 and 12 o'clock(or 3 and 9, just has to be opposite sides) and trying to wiggle it, there should be little to no movement.

Also you should try lifting the front end and try to turn the wheel and spin it by hand to see if you can identify where exactly the the sound is coming from.

Hopefully this helps!

5. JohnS.

JohnS. BANGARANG Staff Member Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member

Also check the upper ball joint. If you don't tighten that crown nut enough, it can cause wiggling and a "clunking" noise.

6. Civvy4Life

Civvy4Life New Member 5+ Year Member

awesome, thanks for the help guys, i'll take a look at the wheel bearings and the upper ball joint

7. 00_Civic_Si

00_Civic_Si BrokenEM1 Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

Also, try tightening all your lug nuts. This happened to me and I couldn't figure it out for like a week :lol: