Clunking noise when turning left

Civvy4Life

5+ Year Member
Hey everybody,
I own a 89 crx and I recently redid most of the front end of my car (everything except for springs and struts) and I've noticed this clunking noise when I turn left or hit a bump. The sound is not constant, it only happens intermittently. As I've replaced all the ball joints and both cv's, is it possible the springs/struts are causing this noise?
Thanks

Kensai

♪♫♪♫♪~
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Hey everybody,
I own a 89 crx and I recently redid most of the front end of my car (everything except for springs and struts) and I've noticed this clunking noise when I turn left or hit a bump. The sound is not constant, it only happens intermittently. As I've replaced all the ball joints and both cv's, is it possible the springs/struts are causing this noise?
Thanks
Since you've replaced the axles next place I would check is wheel bearings.

You can check them by lifting up the front end and grabbing the wheel at 6 and 12 o'clock(or 3 and 9, just has to be opposite sides) and trying to wiggle it, there should be little to no movement.

Also you should try lifting the front end and try to turn the wheel and spin it by hand to see if you can identify where exactly the the sound is coming from.

Hopefully this helps!

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Also check the upper ball joint. If you don't tighten that crown nut enough, it can cause wiggling and a "clunking" noise.

Civvy4Life

5+ Year Member
awesome, thanks for the help guys, i'll take a look at the wheel bearings and the upper ball joint

00_Civic_Si

BrokenEM1
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Also, try tightening all your lug nuts. This happened to me and I couldn't figure it out for like a week :lol: