Clutch pedal on floor

ghost_xero

The Civic of Civics
clutch pedal went all the way down..was stuck all the way down and wouldnt shift......fluid is fulll...shifted fine yesterday but today its pouring like hell and it was stuck...pulled pedal back up and then did it back down a lil and it shifted... i will say this...i changed my idle so that it is higher than normal did it like a week ago or so then the clutch issue and the power steering issue occured...could this be the reason why?

oh yeah just went out and checked it...now its acting fine.....let me ask a very serious question.....must you use HONDA fluids in the car....cause its very odd that after using autozone s**t..in these 2 very things that they start acting up......

FRODO

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The only place I would say to use honda only it the MTF for the manual trans. Theres no leak in the clutch line? The clutch master cylinder could be bad.

obracer12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
or the slave.. thats if nothing is leaking... or (and I've only seen this a few times) the fork itself is bent or cracked.. but gain only seen that a few times (about 1:75)

eg6white305

Idle would not affect that. Just bleed your clutch and look for leaks.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Just had this problem last week... replaced the slave and still had the problem. Turns out it was the master clutch cylinder... So if it's not the slave try the master.. worked for me

ghost_xero

The Civic of Civics
one more question....i looked up clutch master cylinder on autozone and all it showed was this...

is this all i would need to replace if clutch goes all the way down to the floor? cause i took top off and pumped it and pressure came back and after a day or 2 of NOT driving it i went to start it and when i pressed it all the pressure left and it went right back to floor and didnt return...plus there is fluid on the rod that goes from pedal through firewall to master cyl. i want to just replace all so that i dont have any more issues down road...but is this all? just wahts in the pic..and maybe slave too?

ghost_xero

The Civic of Civics
replacing clutch master cyl.

i just bought it and i want to be sure of something.....i can see how the one end connects to the pedal thru the firewall....

but is the other end inside the large black circular panel under the hood where the resevoir mounts up too? i just wanna be sure before i start tearing into s**t and i dont need too.

it looks like a giant rubber boot against the firewall under the hood...do u just remove that to get to it and replace?

civic402Lx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
uh no..big black thing would be the brake booster i believe..u don't do anything to it..
just drain the fluid from the clutch reservoir...remove the tube leaving the reservoir that connect to the master cylinder..
under the dash, use a needle nose plier and pull the pin that connect the clutch master to the clutch pedal...take out the 2 12mm nuts holding the master clutch cylinder in the firewall....go back outside, and wiggle the cylinder up and out...

swap over the gasket, don't forget the gasket..

do everything in reverse..fill up reservoir..bleed the clutch..then you're done..

might as well replace the slave cylinder on the tranny too..i've heard if one go there other will soon follow..hate for you to have to do the job 2x, and bleed it 2x..

civic402Lx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
RonJ,
good diagram but i thought he want to replace the "CLUTCH" master cylinder..not BRAKE???

ghost_xero

The Civic of Civics
jesus christ.....

im getting old...i keep thinking the brake res. is the clutch res.......i checked the actual clutch res and its empty....i poured more brake fluid into it and as i did i cold see black stuff all in the old that was in there.

i always forget BIG res. is brake..little res. is clutch, but even after i filled it up the pedal went all the way down...gonna try bleeding it even though and see what happens but dont worry i think ill end up changing regardless...and i saw on the diagram at autozone the general area of where the slave cylinder was near clutch disk....blah, blah...fork then slave cylinder but is it easily accessible to change?

yours truly

the forgetful "noob"

p.s. about 2 months ago i literally filled the clutch res. before too and it was completely out again today......but really like a week ago since i never checked it till now.

RonJ

Banned
Check for a fluid leak above the clutch pedal (master cylinder) or at the slave cylinder. Replace any component that leaks.

ghost_xero

The Civic of Civics
well ive run into an issue, i replaced and pedal is still on floor....looked at slave and on the inside of bumper there is fluid....the slave is also rusted to hell but i managed to break it so i can try bleeding... but i think its shot

RonJ

Banned
well ive run into an issue, i replaced and pedal is still on floor....looked at slave and on the inside of bumper there is fluid....the slave is also rusted to hell but i managed to break it so i can try bleeding... but i think its shot
If the slave is leaking, replace it and then thoroughly bleed the system. Keep pushing fluid through the bleed bolt until the fluid runs clear and without any air bubbles.

ghost_xero

The Civic of Civics
well gotta wait the local autozone doesnt have slave so gotta wait to go to another one in a bit....

ghost_xero

The Civic of Civics
the boot that surrounds the slave on my car is full of fluid...that has to be it...just waiting on the new one and ill swap...let u guys know in a few.