Coilover Sound

Ryan Mitchell

Hello all, I am new to this thread, but I have recently installed coilovers on my 01 Civic. The right rear makes a knocking sound as I go over bumps. I am puzzled as to what might be causing this. I have taken a video of what it sounds like just me pushing the car down. Doesnt sound normal.

http://sendvid.com/xt1i9zyy

alexagrace15491

Sound alike maybe you don't have the o rings in between the adjustable sleeve and the shock or your rubber inlet in your shocks high hat

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
Did it do this before you installed the coilovers? also are they coilover sleeves or full bodied coilovers? If they are sleeves and it didn't make that noise before, I'd double check the way you assembled it back. If they are full bodied coilovers, check to make sure there is no wiggle for the spring, so that the spring has preload.

Ryan Mitchell

They are function form full coilovers. And I try to wiggle the coilover itself and there is no movement. I also checked all the bolts and none are loose.

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
They are function form full coilovers. And I try to wiggle the coilover itself and there is no movement. I also checked all the bolts and none are loose.
Not sure how you are checking them, but you actually need to raise your car to check if the spring/other components are loose. Just thought I'd point that out in case you weren't doing it this way. Does your coilover seem to be covered in a liquid? dirty at all? any signs of premature failure?

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
Did you remember to torque the lower bolt that goes thru/in the lower control arm with the car's weight on it? Also it doesn't necessarily sound like it's the coilover itself to be completely honest on that video, it almost sounds like a bushing of some sort, or a rubbing issue with something else.