Cold air intake

Lucas Mast

If I was to get a cold air intake for my car after I fix everything else in it...what would be a good intake system?

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
A tube is a tube...

just use a good filter and spend 20 bucks on whatever tube off ebay.

bairdandrew77

Injen and aem are 2 very good ones that I know of, but they're expensive and aren't worth it without supporting mods. I've been happy so far with a modified oem intake, spectre (AutoZone) short ram intake, and on my current project I'm going to use a used aem filter I got cheap with some free tubing in my garage. I just have a hard time spending a lot of money on intakes when I use mostly stock engines

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Injen and AEM is just a tube.. an aluminum tube. why its 200 bucks? because it has their decal on it.

Ebay chinese version w/o decal = 30 bucks

Name brand with decal = 200 bucks

those decals are expensive!

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Remove the resonator from behind the passenger side of your bumper cover, get a K&N drop in filter, cheapest alternative with about the same results as those expensive models.

connies96hatchie

Reinvent Your Shell!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I had a Jay's (whale penis) for $100, Injen for $75 and AEM for $90 all brand new. :what: Gains at most were 3-15hp.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Whale penis looks the best, IMO.

Never said that before..

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yea.. but the whale d**k has proven to make gains over stock, but not as good as other intakes out there..

You lose air velocity in that chamber.. hence why you never see it on a real track car. But hey, it looks kool. :smileyR:

Lucas Mast

I'm still new to this whole engine upgrade thing with cars and sh*t , but what does a cold air intake do to your car?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm still new to this whole engine upgrade thing with cars and sh*t , but what does a cold air intake do to your car?
I like this new guy. He actually asks thought out questions unlike most new members.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Your first post has a thought out question, acknowledging the understanding of adding a CAI after completed engine work. Its very annoying that most new members ask absurdly vague questions with no evident previous research or thought.

Last edited:

Lucas Mast

Oh okay. Well I just make sure people know exactly what I mean I hate explaining myself over and over again. So i like to say it right the first time!

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
To answer the question, cold air is denser then hot air. Thus more fuel is needed for cold air.

Cold air also reduces the chance of detonation. But cold air intakes have a small trade off versus a short ram. Short ram gives slightly better throttle reponse but also sucks in hot air from engine bay.

Personally i use a cold air wrapped with insulation to make sure the pipe doesnt get heat soaked. Its has proven to be 2-3 degrees over ambient

Lucas Mast

To answer the question, cold air is denser then hot air. Thus more fuel is needed for cold air.

Cold air also reduces the chance of detonation. But cold air intakes have a small trade off versus a short ram. Short ram gives slightly better throttle reponse but also sucks in hot air from engine bay.

Personally i use a cold air wrapped with insulation to make sure the pipe doesnt get heat soaked. Its has proven to be 2-3 degrees over ambient
So use a cold air intake not a short ram intake?

connies96hatchie

Reinvent Your Shell!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You had each dyno tested?
What motor?
Unfortunately not each without other parts also involved (i/h/e). But you can talk to the company directly and they can give you specifics.
Injen - D15
J's - B18b
AEM - B18c1