Collapsed radiator hoses

voblak2

First off, hello I'm new to the forum :-) Second, last night I bought a 2005 Civic EX, which is quite an awesome car by the way. When we popped the hood to take a look there was antifreeze that had sprayed on the engine and components a tad bit, but the owner said he just had the radiator replaced aa few days ago and had not driven the car until today so the guy who replaced it may have overfilled it and now it's just running off the excess. We drained a tad bit out of the overflow tank in thing seems cool while it was running as we stood there and talked and sealed the deal. However halfway through the 2 hr drive back to my house it started to overheat but each time it cool back down until I got within an hour from home at which time the temp gauge redlined several times yet the warning light never came on. It would stay at the redline for up to 30 seconds before dropping back down but never went below half again. Thankfully I got it home alright but when I got up this morning to take it to work, which I did not do by the way, the upper and lower radiator hose were both completely flat. I took off the radiator cap and they both went back to normal immediately. Once again there was a radiator fluid all over under the hood. I love Hondas, but this is so not cool. I absolutely do not have money to be putting into fixing a major problem on a car which is why I just bought this one to replace my worthless Hyundai Accent that died Does anyone have any idea what could be going wrong with my civic? I can't imagine it would be the thermostat because at least early on

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Google how to bleed the coolant system. Then do that. There is an air lock in the system, 100 to 1 the previous owner didn't bleed it correctly when he put the radiator in. Thermostats are very easy and cheap insurance. I would replace it if you are going to be in there, especially if you don't know when the last time it was done.

voblak2

Finally got this all figured out so I thought it well to report back so all may know. After replacing the thermostat, two sensors and checking the timing belt and water pump it turns out I have a blown head gasket. Crappy enough that's what I feared, as almost every thread I've seen online where people had this exact issue ended the same way. Oh well. Put some Blue Devil sealant in it to buy myself some time as I save up for the repair. Regardless...Honda's rule!

MyLittleTeg

Well it has bad heads due to it being driven while warm. You said it peaked out several times.. If your heat hand ever gets up PULL OVER IMMEDIATELY. It will save you so much time and money. Luckily, hg are easy to do and not expensive =)

" I’d rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone built it for me. "