Complete newbie needs help

jj1only

Bought a 95 civic ex back in march for $500. I wasn't expecting a mint condition Lexus, just needed a ride to take me 12 miles round trip for work daily when the weather was too bad to ride my bicycle and using Uber was getting expensive.

Anyway, bought the car, fixed it up (tire rod was popped out, brakes were shot, and had to get the entire dash rewired because the previous owner installed 3 kill switches) and was riding fine.

Then my car wouldn't start some days. I noticed that it wouldn't start the day after it rains. Mechanic says it's the way the car was built, that the water that his the moon roof drains down to where the computer is.

Fine. But now he says we need to wait till a computer becomes available because this one has been discontinued by honda. Been waiting about 3 months and he says it's like waiting for an organ donor to die. He can't find any anywhere and the two that he tried both had the same water damage to them.

I found one on ebay but don't know if it'll work. Don't wanna give up on the car just yet as I only spent $1500 on everything so far including purchase, title and repairs out of a $2000 budget. And it runs perfectly other than this.

The left side is mine, the right is the one for sale. Should i go for it?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
:welcome:

I don't think that's the issue. That is not how the car is built.. if that were the case, wouldn't every Civic owner have this same issue? Plus, electronics short when they get wet.. that would most likely cause damage to the ECU and prevent it from working properly regardless of if it had time to dry or not... does the ECU look like it has signs of water damage / damp near the connectors?

Your mechanic sounds like he doesn't know the issue... I'd take it elsewhere to get another opinion.

Is the check engine light on at all?

I would start by checking the distributor cap for moisture. Inspect it and see if it's cracked, etc.
Also check the main relay. When after it rains, if you turn the car to ON without starting it, can you hear the fuel pump prime?

jj1only

The check engine light hasn't come on. I will try to tow it somewhere else.

Main relay and fuel pump were both changed to brand new, but the issue is still there.

I'll have the distributor cap checked. Thank you!

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

daperez13

Respected
I think what XpL0d3r was trying to ask is if you can hear the fuel pump turn on/prime when you turn the ignition to the "on" position but not start the car. I agree with him also, get a second opinion. He's right in that the ecu would probably fry if it was exposed to water. Do the connectors/pins have corrosion or rust? Does the car crank at all or instrument lights come on when the problem occurs? Check for voltage on the starter's solenoid with the key in the "off" and then "on" positions, do not start the car. It appears that something is shorting out but I do not believe it's the ecu. Given that the dash was rewired, this could be part of the problem if something was not insulated or connected properly.

hondaqmp2

Respected
Agreed^^^^^ Listen for the pump to kick on. Also have someone turn the key to ON and listen to your distributor to see if it clicks as well. When main relays go bad they work one day but not the next. Also when you say it doesn't start does it even crank?