Compression check?

HiDesertRat

D16Y8....Checked the compression while doing an oil change the other day. I cranked the engine about five or six cycles and got readings of 145 to 155 on each of the cylinders. This seems to be good to me, but I am not sure what these engines should read?
The reason for doing the compression check was this: I couldn't get the car to pull itself up onto the ramps. If I put the front tires at the base of the ramps, it would just sit there and stall out. I had to backup and get a run at the ramps in order to get it up them.
I would think it should have enough power to pull itself up the dang car ramp!?!?!?! I know there are some burnt wires going to the transmission, so it may not be shifting into low gear, but I think it is. Have to do some checks (and repair the wires). Previous owner ran it with a cracked exhaust manifold and melted some wires and connectors..... Work in progress. :roll:

95CTR

52mpg? I do it all day.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
are the wires just melted and un insulated or melted and broke apart?

HiDesertRat

Wires are un insulated (melted). I have seperated them and moved them so they aren't touching each other or any metal. Just a quick fix to check some other things, will get around to replacing them with good wires soon.

Was really looking for what a good compression check would be for a D16Y8 engine.

95CTR

52mpg? I do it all day.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
dumb question, but did yo ugoogle, it? im sure some one might chime in differntly but im pretty sure that 145-155 is acceptable.