Compression Test Results 96 civic ex with d16y8

nj_0178

5+ Year Member
So heres the story, i remote started my car last night getting ready for a hot date. I heard my car cut off while warming up so i went outside to check it out. I started it up and it started but strugged to hold idle and turned back off, figuring i was out of gas i once again started it and again the same thing. I tried to start it a 3rd time and all it did was turn over (Makes that slow turnover sound kind of like how a car sounds when it is out of time)
So Today i proceeded to line up my timing marks the camshaft lines up with that head, the crankshaft mark lines up with that of the t-belt cover the way it is supposed to.
My next step is to perform a compression test,
Keep in mind i performed a compression test last week just to see where i stand, and it read 180 psi across the board.
Now my results as of today read
Cylinder1: 0 psi
Cylinder 2: 0 psi
Cylinder 3: 0 psi
Cylinder 4 0 PSI
Wet compression test results:
Cylinder 1 : 10 psi
Cylinder 2 :0 psi
Cylinder 3: 0 psi
Cylinder 4: 0 psi
I ''ve done a few compression tests but never have gotten such results when the vehicle timing marks are dead on. What do you guys think it could be? Blown head gasket? Worn out piston rings? etc etc.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
to get 0 psi you almost have to be missing a piston, in your case 3. You're sure your tester was on correctly?

nj_0178

5+ Year Member
Yes sir, tester was screwed in hand tight till it doesnt turn anymore and the gauge is just a fitting that snaps on. Turned the car over 7 cycles per honda.in, website directions. im gonna check my timing for a 3rd time today. But im stumped by those numbers. Something just seems odd about that.

nj_0178

5+ Year Member
im wondering if maybe the valve in the tester gave out, i just recently got the car and performed a compression test on wednesday and it was at 175 psi across the board.

techavluis

Registered VIP
do you have a friend that can bring his car over and test the tester... Ive seen some bad motors before. and never seen 0.

nj_0178

5+ Year Member
yea good idea, we've got an 08 civic im gonna hook up the compression tester on that car see what it reads

nj_0178

5+ Year Member
alright so i gave the fact that i was a little buzzed yesterday while checking it over the benefit of the doubt. Performed a compression test on our 08 civic and got 150 on all 4 cylinders so that rules my compression tester out. Re checked timing, all the marks are on point. Camshaft does turn when i turn over the car. But im still getting 0 on all cylinders.while turning over by hand i dont feel any pressure coming out of the combustion chamber either.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So your civic just jumped time and you're worrying about compression?

Pull the head. Ur gonna need to replace some s**t...

nj_0178

5+ Year Member
how did it jump time if all the timing marks are lined up?
EDIT: remind me to not question your judgement again mymmeryloss
The vehicle did jump time but not as i would have expected. after further inspection i turned the engine by hand and noticed that not a single valve was moving. So i turned it by hand once again and inspected the camshaft lobes.
Thats when i noticed...im able to turn the pulley for the camshaft just fine, but the camshaft its self is not moving. So looks like im looking at a head job at minimum. No telling what other damage that could have caused. Now just a debate as to whether this will be my excuse for B swap or take it apart and slap on another head. Thank you all for your input, and quick replies

nj_0178

5+ Year Member
yea i think im gonna use this as an excuse for a swap. i've just been waiting for a reason.It's weird how the camshaft just snapped at idle like that though. i'm guessing the previous owner got in there and didnt do something right that somehow led to this happening.