Compression test results / misfire codes 03 civic lx

2wheelhunter

I have been getting a random misfire code, I tried the basic plugs and coil tests with no luck. I did a compression test and the results are as such;

cyl 4: 121psi
cyl 3: 210psi
cyl 2: 173psi
cyl 1: 210psi

Now I'm a little rusty and been out of the car scene a little but am I correct in assuming that timing is off? I believe the pressure should be 170-180psi and if that's the case then this may be causing my misfire. Can anyone provide insight? Thanks in advance!

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You can easily check mechanical timing for pretty much free in your driveway. You can rent a timing light for peanuts to check igntion timing.

Assuming this is a wet test, 210 is pretty much where they should be, at least that's what I've seen on most Hondas. You've got an issue here with those 2 cylinders. Bad rings, bad valves or something. Have you done a leak down test?

2wheelhunter

210 psi seems high if it is not a vtec engine. Maybe I'm wrong and I do have an issue with the two cylinders. Also I've used a timing light before but not sure how to use on an engine with individual ignition coils.