Confirming that I have a water pump gasket leak

CivicGil

I uploaded some photos to hopefully show the issue. I am leaking coolant while car is off class 3. when the car is on and the pump is doing its thing it leaks like crazy. I would also appreciate any insight before doing this repair. Any replacements i should do while i do this job, maintenance, etc...

Attachments

daperez13

Respected
What's up CivicGil,

It's hard to tell where the leak is coming from on those pictures, it almost seems like it's coming from where the pump meets the block (gasket). Usually, when the pump itself starts to go bad, they start to leak from the weep hole and sometimes make noise. If the car has high mileage and the pump has never been replaced, chances are it might be on it's way out.

Since you did mentioned that the pump "leaks like crazy" when the car is on, this leads me to believe that it is the pump itself and not the gasket. Obviously, when you replace the pump, you will replace the gasket too. Make sure you remove all gasket residue and ensure that the block is nice and clean. If you're doing the work yourself, get a Haynes manual and follow procedure. The work is not really all that difficult but it is somewhat time consuming as you have to remove other components to get to it.

Taking a second look at the first picture, it does appear to be leaking from higher up, confirming my suspicion.

Regarding additional replacements or maintenance, you should check all your belts for wear, tears and proper tension. Replace your thermostat if it has not been replaced and refill with 50/50, not just water.

CivicGil

What's up CivicGil,

It's hard to tell where the leak is coming from on those pictures, it almost seems like it's coming from where the pump meets the block (gasket). Usually, when the pump itself starts to go bad, they start to leak from the weep hole and sometimes make noise. If the car has high mileage and the pump has never been replaced, chances are it might be on it's way out.

Since you did mentioned that the pump "leaks like crazy" when the car is on, this leads me to believe that it is the pump itself and not the gasket. Obviously, when you replace the pump, you will replace the gasket too. Make sure you remove all gasket residue and ensure that the block is nice and clean. If you're doing the work yourself, get a Haynes manual and follow procedure. The work is not really all that difficult but it is somewhat time consuming as you have to remove other components to get to it.

Taking a second look at the first picture, it does appear to be leaking from higher up, confirming my suspicion.

Regarding additional replacements or maintenance, you should check all your belts for wear, tears and proper tension. Replace your thermostat if it has not been replaced and refill with 50/50, not just water.
Thank you for your response. I'm going to take your advice and install the pump since I have to replace the gasket. Is it possible for the water pump to go bad and still pump the coolant? Just something I would like to know for troubleshooting. Also last time the pump was replaced was maybe about 4 yrs ago at about 130k miles I'm at 168 now. The timing belt was also replaced at that time. If the timing belt looks good should I leave it or replace it since I'm replacing the water pump.

CivicGil

Good time to replace the timing belt, accessory belts and valve cover gasket since you will have it all off.
Thanks for your response I'm gonna look at the condition of the timing belt to see if it needs to be replaced. Or should I replace it any way because I did the timing belt about 4 yrs ago. I understand that it makes sense to replace the part since I'm in there already. Just looking to see if I can avoid having to work on the timing belt

daperez13

Respected
Thank you for your response. I'm going to take your advice and install the pump since I have to replace the gasket. Is it possible for the water pump to go bad and still pump the coolant? Just something I would like to know for troubleshooting. Also last time the pump was replaced was maybe about 4 yrs ago at about 130k miles I'm at 168 now. The timing belt was also replaced at that time. If the timing belt looks good should I leave it or replace it since I'm replacing the water pump.
It may be possible for the pump to continue circulating, depending on the damage. Do you know exactly where the leak is coming from? Have you confirmed it is in fact the pump? If it's a loose or damaged hose or clamp, you should check and replace that first before investing on a new pump.

38,000 miles is not a lot for a pump to go bad, unless it was replaced with a cheap after market unit. 168,000 miles is less than half the engine's life (depending on how well it's maintained) so if you don't plan on selling the car anytime soon, you should probably invest on a Honda replacement. This is relative of course, as other people may have had great results with after market units.

The rule of thumb is replace your timing belt whenever you're doing work that will already give you access to it. But just like the pump, 38,000 miles is not a lot, unless it was replaced with a cheap one or installed incorrectly. If the belt looks good, I would leave it. By the way, 4 years in PA and how you drive will have an effect on your car's components, so be mindful of that.

dancam

Registered VIP
The belt is cheap, paying someone to replace it isnt, it breaking isnt and changing it yourself is a pain, so i would do it anyways. The pump can still pump while its leaking, depends whats wrong. Its either the internal seal or the gasket, the pump will still pump as long as it has impellers left and your block isnt worn. Does your 6th gen need honda coolant or is the green stuff ok? Green coolant can wreck a water pump very fast on a 7th gen, you need honda coolant for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tim Black

My water pump is on its way out as well. I have to do it this weekend and I found a kit online for around 150 bucks. The kit includes timing belt, water pump, water pump gasket, valve cover gasket, spark plug gaskets, and new tension pulley. So I'm gonna do all of it since I'm there. I go by that rule of thumb if u have to take it off replace it all the way to the bolts if they even look a little funny. Oh and the kit comes with new valve cover bolts and gaskets as well. And it probably a really good idea to check your valve lash while u are in their.

daperez13

Respected
Tim, can you post a link of the kit you found? I doubt they're genuine Honda parts as the water pump and timing belt alone would be close to $150.00 (unless you get a discount). I personally don't like to use off-brands or aftermarket when it comes to components like these because if they fail, you not only spent a good amount of money already but the headache of doing it again and the idea of spending even more money to replace those parts is just bad altogether.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Looks like a gasket leak but there is also a weep hole manufactured into the water pumps to indicate a bad internal shaft seal. So if the source is coming from the weep hole then its a bad pump and needs to replaced. Depending on the condition of the timing belt its a great time to inspect and replace as needed.

Clean all contamination from all other components and call it a day.

CivicGil

thanks for all of your responses. I ended up doing the timing belt,water pump,thermostat, and both seals. It actually was a pretty easy job just alot of small things i had to get out of the way. Hardest part was that crankshaft pulley nut. Holy s**t was that thing on there. I had to buy that tool to help me remove it since in dont own air compressor and all that good stuff.