Confuse with coolant bleeding

TS2008

I'm trying to follow steps from Honda Service Manual (HSM) regarding coolant filling and bleeding. The title at the page 10-7 mentioned bleeding but there is nothing about bleeding the coolant system.

If you have info about how to bleed the coolant system, please share. thx

Joe Mason

Respected
Registered VIP
No bleeding like slave cylinders or brakes is needed. You just need to run the motor up to full temp with the rad cap off. When the thermostat opens the water pump will circulate coolant and you will probably notice the level drop in the rad and maybe see some bubbles. Then just keep adding coolant until full. FYI, it can take quite a while for the car to get warm enough sitting at idle. So just be patient.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Joe is pretty much on point with his replies. Ill add to plan for about 30 minutes of air bleeding time, checking every few minutes to ensure you dont start blowing out fluid if max operating temp is reached.

TS2008

Thanks Hex for the suggestion. I'm little disappointed with HSM for being so vague regarding bleeding. The manual stated that the coolant system need to be bled, but it didn't show any procedure for this matter. anyway thanks again Hex.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Pretty sure it's in the fsm your just looking in the wrong place. From what I have read your supposed to jack the front end of the vehicle up, let it run until fan cycles on twice, refill radiator as needed.

SEDundon

Yep. I just did this yesterday after a thermostat replacement last week. If you dont let the air out, causes issues. My overflow tank would be full and the radiator level down. Not overheating, running fine. Upper hose starting to bulge, clearly overpressured. Took me about 30 min also, but once it cleared up, running perfect now. Simple fix. Much better than the terror of a head gasket job.