Confused!?

mindlessadven

Probably a really dumb question, I'm just overthinking and confusing myself. I have a 1993 Honda Civic SI (OBD1) and a b18LS (OBD2) motor. Here's my questions. First off engine harness, mine looks like a jungle right now so I'm just going to get a new one but what harness do I get? Do i just get a regular b18 LS (OBD2) engine harness? And ECU, right now i'm on the P28, but going to get s300. Do i need to get a OBD1 to OBD2 jumper harness for the ECU? Just really confused myself with all of it and trying to look for what i actually need so i can get going with my car.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
you always use the harness for the chassis. obd1 just has less sensors then obd2 you just use and run it like obd1 makes everything plug and play

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
the jumper harness only needed for obd2a /b cars as they're can't mod/chip obd2 ecu all the chipped ecu and S300/neptune rpt and etc all uses obd1 ecu

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
you always use the harness for the chassis. obd1 just has less sensors then obd2 you just use and run it like obd1 makes everything plug and play
Not really true. It's actually better to use an ODB2 harness from an Integra in this case, IMO.

http://technet.ff-squad.com/hybrid.92-95.obd2.htm
Scroll down to ECU & Wiring Explained section :thumbs up

OP, I would recommend an ODB2 LS Integra harness, no ODB2->ODB1 conversion harness needed. Keep your same ECU and get that tuned with S300.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
Not really true. It's actually better to use an ODB2 harness from an Integra in this case, IMO.

http://technet.ff-squad.com/hybrid.92-95.obd2.htm
Scroll down to ECU & Wiring Explained section :thumbs up

OP, I would recommend an ODB2 LS Integra harness, no ODB2->ODB1 conversion harness needed. Keep your same ECU and get that tuned with S300.
true but the stock civic one is still literally plug and play and all you would need is obd1 p73 ecu not much work involved also it take out any possibility that maybe few wires might be different or placed at a different pin 5th gen are obd1 using all obd1 stuff in a obd1 car is the best route to having less unforseen problems which swaps

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
true but the stock civic one is still literally plug and play and all you would need is obd1 p73 ecu not much work involved also it take out any possibility that maybe few wires might be different or placed at a different pin 5th gen are obd1 using all obd1 stuff in a obd1 car is the best route to having less unforseen problems which swaps
An ODB1 P73 ECU does not exist in the USDM, only ODB2, which isn't an option if OP wants to run s300 (without modifying the connections inside the ECU). JDM P73 ECU is ODB2 but will work similarly to ODB1. BUT, if OP is getting a new harness anyways, why would get get an ODB1 harness and then an additional ECU to go with it? All OP needs to ODB2 harness and keep the same ECU he has in there.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
An ODB1 P73 ECU does not exist in the USDM, only ODB2, which isn't an option if OP wants to run s300 (without modifying the connections inside the ECU). JDM P73 ECU is ODB2 but will work similarly to ODB1. BUT, if OP is getting a new harness anyways, why would get get an ODB1 harness and then an additional ECU to go with it? All OP needs to ODB2 harness and keep the same ECU he has in there.
i ment p75