Confusing engine. D Series or Z Series?

Kawaiifu

Hi new here. I have a 95 Civic Si hb and I cant tell what the previous owner did to the engine. It looks like a D16z6 but the block says ZC but most SOHC ZC's come with a black valve cover. Mine says Vtec but the cover isn't painted. Doesn't seem to be stripped of any paint.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
:welcome:

There is no Z series. A SOHC ZC motor is basically a D16z6. I wouldn't go by the color of the valve cover, people can swap those out easily.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
A SOHC engine with the stamp "ZC" is a Japanese market d series motor. Don't ever use the valve cover to ID a motor since those can be easily changed. The ZC was available in a vtec version though as well.
From the sounds of it, I'm willing to bet it has a ZC bottom end and someone swapped a vtec head on it.
To identify the head, it should have a stamp on it somewhere (P08), which for that generation, should be a z6 head.

CamdSingleSlam

and just for informational reasons, ZC is also available in a D series dual cam

Kawaiifu

Thank you guys for the help. I'll check in the morning for the stamp on the head. Anything different between the Japanese motor and the US version. Like benefits or drawbacks?

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
and just for informational reasons, ZC is also available in a D series dual cam
The "ZC" motor ran from the mid 80's up until around 2000 or so.
There are 4 main versions, SOHC carb, SOHC non vtec, SOHC vtec and DOHC non vtec.
Many of these "ZC" or equivalent motors ended up in British model cars called Rover.