Convert to obd1

Roger Ward

Ok so i was wondering what ecu i need for my d16y7 to convert it to obd1? I found the conversion harness for $27 on ebay. But just dnt know what ecu is required to operate the car for proper tuning. Do i need the d15 for the 5th gen dx or is there a different ecu that is best?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Is there a reason you want to go OBD1? Do you guys do emissions down there?

Roger Ward

No we do not do emissions here in missouri. The reason i wanna go odb1 is due to the exhaust system the pervious owner had put on the car there is no cat or 2nd o2 sensor. Also plans for turbo in the near future

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
a popular tuning ecu people use is the p28 which will be good if you do plan to go turbo. I would wait to change ecu's though since putting an obd1 ecu on your car now will not do much good without a tune, and a tune would be sort of useless (except to maybe take the cel off) and a waste of money since you'll have to get it retuned later when the turbo is in.

Roger Ward

Well im looking at a 2500 mile trip and the car cuts out at low rpms and i was told the only way to fix that is convert to obd1 or spend the money on a o2 get a spot welded in for it and put a cat which after labor here close to 400

So to do this conversion do i just need the ecu and the conversion harness?

Alot of stuff i read was talkin about changing intake manifolds iacv stuff like that. Is this accurate or is it as simple as just changing the ecu?

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The obd1 ecu will have the specs for the car it was made for, you can't just plug in an ecu and expect it to work for your car. If you want the car to run right and get the best mpg for this trip, I would get the bung welded on, sensor plugged in, as well as the cat. Having the wrong a/f ratio's being sent to your motor can just kill the motor quicker. I once tried a 99-00 EX ecu on my 00 HX and it didn't run right at all.

Roger Ward

Well i found a place that sells a modded ecu. 198 for a p28 ecu and lets me choose the options like o2 sensor vtec injector size for the base map. In that case would that allow the car run correctly?

Roger Ward

The company that sells it is HA motorsports. Its only tuneable with neptune or Crome. They have have some that you can tune yourself thats socketed and chipped or the other they tune to what you want for $30 more. Or at least thats what i get out of what i read.