Cooling fan not working: 7th gen Civic

bradfoulks

Wondering if I could get some help figuring out why my cooling fan isnt kicking on my car over heats thru drive thrus so im thinking that's it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk

Otto85

Is your fan not coming on at all? If so unplug your fan switch located on the thermostat housing. use a piece of wire to jump the plug. Turn your ignition on if your fan comes on your fan switch is bad. @boofoo I know your a techy guru any other ideas?

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Reactions: HeX

bradfoulks

It also loses coolant but I haven't found where it leaks but i thought it was overheating and spilling it out the over flow.

And sorry for the late reply. This is my first post on a forum.

Last edited by a moderator:

Otto85

Do the test and find the leak, if you can't find it check the inside of you oil cap for a white milky film, drain plug, bottom of the timing cover (water pump leak) and the heater core (check the carpet under the dash) if all else fails pickup a coolant tester to see if there's exhaust in your radiator theres a small possibility the overheating could have caused a full or partial head gasket failure

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

bradfoulks

Ok. The car has 330,000 miles on it I know forsure the fan on the passenger side does not kick on. The only time it starts to get hot is when it is parked for long periods. I thought the head gasket may be toast but it actually isn't. There's no water in the oil. No smoke from exhaust and when I turn it over with the radiator cap off all it does it start circulating and splashes out a little bit but i think that is just from the pump.