Correct way to flush/fill coolant?

flipped

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm planning to do a coolant drain/fill (and maybe a flush) on my 98 civic. What's the correct way to flush? Someone told me that i need to remove the thermostat first. is this true?

flipped

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
just 1 quick question. If i were to flush the radiator without removing the thermostat, would i damage anything?

9civic7

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
no....you just drain it from the drain on the bottom of the radiator....then fill it up....let it run for a while untill the thermostat opens up...then the coolant level should go down and fill it back up...you will know when it is open just check your temp gauge and turn your heat on while it is running then when the heat is hot you thermostat will be open...they have a great tool that i use at work it is a funnel that goes onto the filler and tightens down so you can let it run and keep the coolant from going everywhere and let it fill up by itself when the thermostat opens up...hopefully this will help...oh yea make sure it is a 50/50 mixture of coolant and water

turbowhat_n_dat

1 of a kind
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
when hot, drain system, refill with Hot tap water, and some cascade, let it circulate with the heat on as previously stated, drain and perform same proceedure again until all crap is out (or whatever reason you have for doing this), then refill w/ a 50/50 mix of coolant/water and/or ex-life. By using the water solution you know that the system is fully flushed out when all you have is water. No removal of thermostat needed for this.