Cost to change catalytic converter on EM1?

Mad-Mike

5+ Year Member
Alright I got car inspection coming up in a week and I am a little worried. On my way home from work I got a P0420 and I rarely get this CEL. I'm just wondering if this would screw up on the emissions test even though It rarely pops up....also what is the cost and labor to get the part replaced? Now I bought the car from California and it failed the smog test. Is the smog test the same as emissions test? (I'm assuming yes.)

civic0918

Registered VIP
check your local junk yards. It just cost about $5 and your time of labor here in pa for lil things like that. good luck.

Mad-Mike

5+ Year Member
check your local junk yards. It just cost about $5 and your time of labor here in pa for lil things like that. good luck.
Yea I'm gonna check around with local junkyards. I heard that some won't sell used ones. More likely I will do it myself once I get some jack stands.

RonJ

Banned
You can't buy a used cat from a junk yard. Replacing a stock cat is very easy, so do it yourself. Cats die because the engine is misfiring, running way too rich, or both. Fix those problems first before slapping a new expensive cat onto the car.