Cost to change the timing belt?

pasqual13

5+ Year Member
its around 500 here at the dealership
rediculous......
i need mine done too wish i had a friend who was a mechanic.......
im hoping it wont snap before i have enough money for a swap!

BuiltforSin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Why don't you call a dealership and find out?

Crazytut

5+ Year Member
Here in SF, I got quoted for $474.10 for the timing belt and water pump change. Not too bad. The dealerships here ask for at least 600.

As for the window, do it yourself! Its a whole lot cheaper and not hard at all to do. The only hard part would be putting the door panel back after you reset the window. There are threads here that can help you with that.
Thank you

tsynek

5+ Year Member
I just got mine done for $270 here in Houston. They did not do the water pump with it though. NTB quoted me $500 belt and water pump.

nicoyita1

I eat rice. And beans.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
bro, find out how to do it yourself. It's not hard, you just have to understand how it all works. The belt and water pump should be about 100 together and then you should replace the belt tensioner and you may as well replace the serpentine belt. Parts should run you about 150-170 altogether. And if you can do the work yourself, you'd save yourself at least 300 dollars.

Docta2002

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Here's what you need if you're low on $$$:

-Haynes manual $25 new @ auto store or as low as $6 on eBay. This book (or equivalent) tell you set-by-step how to change timing belt
-Water pump, as low as $35 on eBay
-Timing belt, as low as $20 on eBay
-Timing belt tensioner, like the other guy said, you CAN get all 3 parts together to save $$
-Coolant
-One day (or however long it takes you to understand what ur doin) to read
-A few hours to actually do it.

Or like most people do (not me thou), Pay someone who knows how to do it. As for the cost, idk...

civic77

5+ Year Member
change timing bely 2004 civic

Honda Dealer charges 258.00 tax included here in Montreal Canada Quebec
Hi!

I live near Montreal and I need mine changed.

Could you please tell me who this dealer is?

Thanks,

Civic 77

igotsole2008

5+ Year Member
Im actually gonna try and do this my self soon, with my brother of course hes a auto tech. but as far as your window goes your regulator is probably bent if you search on the forum theres a "washer trick" that will fix it. I ended up replacing my right regulator for like 30 bux. Spray the tracks with some silicone lubricant every once in a while and you should be good to go.

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Hi!

I live near Montreal and I need mine changed.

Could you please tell me who this dealer is?

Thanks,

Civic 77
Considering his post was a year and a half old, I don't think he'll be able to answer your question. But you might try Google Maps and searching for Honda near Montreal. Unfortunately, the price may not be the same anymore.

Is the timing belt interval every 60k on a SOHC?
EDIT: Read my next post.

Mad-Mike

5+ Year Member
Hopefully the price isn't going to be too much now cause I'll be getting mine changed this year cause I'm getting close to 60k miles.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I got mine done for $300 and swapped the head at the same time, most places quoted like $700 though

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Just did a little research. Here are the correct factory recommended intervals for changing the timing belt and water pump:

1996 Civic (All trims): Every 60k miles
1997-2000 Civic (All trims including Si): Every 105k miles or seven years.

This is regardless of normal or severe driving conditions.

Hopefully the price isn't going to be too much now cause I'll be getting mine changed this year cause I'm getting close to 60k miles.
As your Civic is not from the 1996 model year, it is only recommended you change the timing belt every 105k miles or seven years. It has, however, been far in excess of seven years. If you are only worried about the mileage requirement (as most people do), then you have another 45k miles.