Cost to fix my Civic involved in accident?

VictorWilliams

Hi,

My 2008 Honda Civic LX was involved in a crash with a state vehicle (Pick-Up truck) in Rhode Island. I was waiting to take a left to move to the opposite lane and the truck guy smashed the front of my car (bumper, two headlights, the radiator (a bit) and the hood). I frantically want help with two questions now:

(a) While I am sure that it was his mistake, myself and my insurance are waiting for the police and crash report. My claims adjuster told me that it will ultimately be depicted in the police report as if it was my mistake and I may at least end up taking the majority of liability for the damages, if not full liability. In case if the mistake is also identified with the truck guy, then will the state bear at least a part of the repair cost for my car? Any idea? I also read about something like Federal immunity for government employees, TORT law, etc.. so this has gotten even more confusing now.

(b) In case if the government doesn't give a penny and if it turns out that expecting justice from them is as useless as tits on a boar, then I would like to pay for the repairs out of my pocket, without even involving insurance. Here are pics of the front damage of my car: "http://postimg.org/gallery/14n7v98r2/". I would be very thankful if I can know a ballpark estimate of the cost to fix the car, based on all your previous experience. I don't even want much paint job, I just want to get my car back on road without beautifying it much.

Any help is greatly appreciated and apologies if this is not the forum or section to post it. Thanks.

Attachments

buzzbombtom

captin sleep0
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Whatever the going rate for a 2008 civic is. That thing looks totaled. Did your airbags deploy? If so flush the car

buzzbombtom

captin sleep0
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I can not speculate.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My rough guess would be $5000-$6000 without frame damage. If the frame is bent then add another $2000-$3000 potentially.

itzrivera

did you rear-end him? 'Cause thats what it sounds like. And if you did, then I'm thinking they'll most likely put you as at fault. That will be bad news if they do.

VictorWilliams

did you rear-end him? 'Cause thats what it sounds like. And if you did, then I'm thinking they'll most likely put you as at fault. That will be bad news if they do.
Hi, no I didn't rear-end him. So here is what happened: It was a two way road with two lanes on either road direction. I was on one side of the road waiting to take a left turn to move to the opposite side of the road. The cars on my side of the road were moving from left to right and I was waiting to move to the other side of the road where cars were moving from right to left from my viewpoint (to give you a visual understanding). Seeing me waiting to cross to the other side of the road, first the cars in my side of the road that were in the slow lane (far right) stopped and then the cars in the opposite lane stopped so I moved forward crossing the white dashed line (lane separator) on my side of the road. That was when I noticed this pick up truck coming towards me in the fast lane on my side of the road. I thought he would stop, seeing me cross the road, so I decided to proceed forward so as to finish moving into the opposite side of the road. That was when he still kept coming at the same speed (8 or 10 miles per hour) and while the front of my car already moved past the yellow solid lane separator, the truck guy, to avoid hitting the left fender of my car, turned his steering wheel left thereby ripping off the front portion of my car instead. The speed limit of the road is 35 mph and it was a sunny day.

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
Hi, no I didn't rear-end him. So here is what happened: It was a two way road with two lanes on either road direction. I was on one side of the road waiting to take a left turn to move to the opposite side of the road. The cars on my side of the road were moving from left to right and I was waiting to move to the other side of the road where cars were moving from right to left from my viewpoint (to give you a visual understanding). Seeing me waiting to cross to the other side of the road, first the cars in my side of the road that were in the slow lane (far right) stopped and then the cars in the opposite lane stopped so I moved forward crossing the white dashed line (lane separator) on my side of the road. That was when I noticed this pick up truck coming towards me in the fast lane on my side of the road. I thought he would stop, seeing me cross the road, so I decided to proceed forward so as to finish moving into the opposite side of the road. That was when he still kept coming at the same speed (8 or 10 miles per hour) and while the front of my car already moved past the yellow solid lane separator, the truck guy, to avoid hitting the left fender of my car, turned his steering wheel left thereby ripping off the front portion of my car instead. The speed limit of the road is 35 mph and it was a sunny day.
If I understood this right, you turned left in front of oncoming traffic? That sounds like it was 100% your fault to be honest. You need to yield to oncoming traffic.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
If I understood this right, you turned left in front of oncoming traffic? That sounds like it was 100% your fault to be honest. You need to yield to oncoming traffic.
That's kind of what I got out of this too, at least the way it was explained. :what:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That's kind of what I got out of this too, at least the way it was explained. :what:
If I understood him correctly, this is the story in simpler terms:

He was at an intermediate intersection, meaning there were no stop lights or stop signs, with 2 lanes per direction. While on the left lane awaiting to turn left, he viewed an oncoming pick-up truck (somehow traveling fast yet still stated "8-10 MPH"). Instead of waiting for the pick-up to pass, as he legally should have, he went to turn and the pick-up struck him at the front end while it was trying to turn away from striking the Civic via t-bone.

I agree that you're at fault, @VictorWilliams, for what its worth . How going "8-10 MPH" caused that level of heavy damage is intriguing. Perhaps you meant to say that was how much faster the pick-up was traveling above the speed limit. If so, thats more of a red-flag to not jump ahead of him. Assuming someone will slow down for you is very poor driving ethics on its own, especially when turning towards their opposing direction of travel. Try to be more careful when driving from here on out. Not just for your sake but because that type of driving is reckless and puts others in undeserving potential risk. I've medically treated too many people hurt from similar situations, and experienced similar situation brought onto myself, to not comment on that. Consider this an expensive life learning lesson.

Might I add, unless you're on a highway or a 3-5 lane street, you technically cant label the left of 2 lanes as "the fast lane".

buzzbombtom

captin sleep0
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well now. If you pulled in front of moving traffic and they hit your FRONT end you have very poor reaction times. Judge Judy says you're at fault... ruling is $10,000 to repair. Next case.

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You're still at fault. If the frame isn't bent, you'll need core support, radiator, both headlights, hood, fenders, the bumper support. Car is totaled.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The only way you aren't at fault is if there was a stop light and your light was green.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
You knowingly put yourself in the path of oncoming traffic. Don't expect the vehicles with the right of way are going to stop to give you the right of way to maneuver. This accident is 100% your fault and you can expect your insurance is going to be paying for the trucks damages and your damages minus your deductible.

Look forward to your insurance rate to go up soon.

in canada laws are the same dont yield to traffic in a intersection your 100% at fault headlights broken hood smashed leaking radiator that cars totaled the repair estimates would be what the cars worth no insurance is going to pay 10,000 in damages for a car thats worth 7,000

buzzbombtom

captin sleep0
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Best part of this thread? Right now, because I've alerted the Rhode island state vehicle pool, I feel this thread should help their decision making process a bit more clear.