Could 16" rims cause CV Axle boots to tear?

DYI Gearhead

I recently replaced the 13" OEM stock steel rims with some 16" chrome rims. Shortly thereafter the axle boot on the passenger side split open and the driver side shows signs of tearing. I am just wondering if the split was caused by the new rims. I am not sure what may have caused the boot tear in the first place. I bought the car used so there is no telling how old they are, but when I gave it a transmission flush and fill upon buying the vehicle the boots looked fine. Is it easier to just replace the axles or should I try to repack them and install new boots? Any thoughts or insight would be greatly appreciated!

DYI Gearhead

Bone stock Civic aside from wheels?

Replace the axles.
Thank you for the quick reply. Yep, its completely stock. Replacement of the CV Axles was my first thought too. Is there any specific aftermarket brand that I should look at purchasing? I will look at the other posts in the forum for ideas an suggestions too. Thank you for your help, and I look forward to being a contributor on this site.

Peace, Love and Axle Grease....

DYI Gearhead

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Buy from your local auto parts stores. They come with a lifetime warranty.
that lifetime warranty... lol i used mine all the time. when i wrecked the car and got another one. i pulled my axles cause i could get new ones whenever i needed them. i used the warranty twice in a 6 month period