1. New Forum Software:
    We have finally upgraded the forum software due to it being so outdated. If you are having any issues with new forum please let us know. Please post any issues in this thread http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/threads/clubcivic-com-forum-upgrade.227221/

coupe vs hatchback

Discussion in 'Tech Archive (No Posting)' started by aaron99ex, Jun 21, 2008.

Welcome to ClubCivic a Honda Civic Forum

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and honda civic car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the Members Ride's to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

1. aaron99ex

aaron99ex New Member 5+ Year Member

ok heres the deal i like my 99 ex but i also like the hatchbacks i wanna sell my ex and get a 99-00 hatch. what would be my advantages and disadvantages. can i still swap the engine 4 any b series and does the weight difference really matter?

2. DarkCreep

DarkCreep D16Y8+T Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member

From the doors, to the front the hatch is 99.999% the same so YES you can swap over your B series.

Advantages
    Slightly lighter chassis
    Bragging rights?

Disadvantages
    NO power windows
    NO power locks
    NO armrest
    NO tweeters
    NO front sway bar
    NO gay ass SOHC VTEC
    NO EX cluster

3. aaron99ex

aaron99ex New Member 5+ Year Member

cant i swap the doors for ex

4. JAYYS

JAYYS New Member Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

in actuallity the chassis weigh the same its the extras pointed out above^^^ that make it heavier
    same car except one has all those options and one has a lager cargo area and more aerodynamic

5. AChase

AChase New Member 5+ Year Member

hatch ftw

6. oddeb707

oddeb707 R.I.P Stephen Jackson Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member

hatch

7. Suanico

Suanico New Member Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member

no trunk
    smaller brakes
    no sun roof

8. Jas0nEK

Jas0nEK New Member Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

Everybody will be able to see the s**t that you would've been able to keep hidden in your trunk (audio, nitrous, tools, whatever). So much for any expectation of privacy.

9. AllStockHatch

AllStockHatch Unregistered User Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

had a coupe and finally got the hatch ive been wanting, same as what they said , but its all personal preferance

10. TomTomTuning

TomTomTuning PhotoG Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

Cargo cover FTW

I dont mind the coupes at all, i just prefer the hatch.. I wish all the luxuries came in the hatch (power window/locks etc)

11. The Russian

The Russian Mugen Wannabe Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

I think they're both fine cars, i just never did like cars without a back end, i like my car to have an ass XD

I mean where do you put your spoiler? Roof spoilers are kinda... ehh, they just dont look right, need a boot for a decent spoiler XD

They do look good but as said before, its all personal preference

12. knightxrider1

knightxrider1 New Member Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

13. TippinOver

TippinOver reppin the 2StockCrew Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

strictly looks. thats the difference

i had a 99 hatch, i had a 96 coupe. i loved the hatch's looks and such, but c;mon...its 2008. who really wants manual options? no ac? s**t its a heat wave in america....

14. guitar_adam2000

guitar_adam2000 Alcohol ab-User Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

sounds like the US hatches really suck, normally i'd say hatch anyday, but if they're really as poorly equiped as it has been suggested, i'd have to say coup. i mean, no power locks, doors, air con? u dont even get a parcel shelf for the boot? f**k that. or get an import hatch ftmfw

15. NOFX

NOFX I'm NOT eran! Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

There's a thread on H-T that goes over all the differences between coupes, hatches and sedans in the US. Use that to see some option differences.

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread/2055230

The trunk on the coupe has over twice the floor space of the hatch, but the hatch can carry taller and bulkier items because of the height. Granted that means between our coupe and hatch here, the only thing I can really think of that couldn't have been put in the coupe was the 42" television we could just barely put in the hatch (it was still in the box too). The coupe can carry longer items though.

Then as mentioned, the EX has all of this over the CX and DX hatch:
    - Higher Horsepower Engine (hatches all have D16Y7)
    - Moonroof
    - Paint Matched Molding, Plate Garnish and Mirrors
    - Power Exterior Mirrors
    - Larger Wheels and Tires (dependent on year)
    - Power Windows
    - Power Locks
    - Air conditioning (optional on both CX and DX)
    - Power Steering (optional on DX)
    - Cruise Control
    - Tachometer (Manual EX only)
    - Keyless Entry
    - Larger Dome Light
    - Map Light ('98+ EX only)
    - Trunk Light
    - Armrest (standard in DX and EX)
    - 6X9 Rear Speakers (standard in DX and EX)
    - Front Tweeter Kit (optional in all, but I've yet to see an EX without them)
    - Radio (optional in CX, standard in all others)
    - 10.3" Front Brakes (CX and DX have 9.5")
    - ABS (optional on EX)

As far as differences between the CX and DX, I mentioned a few above, but also the CX has a matter black plastic spoiler that's stubby, while the DX has a longer two piece metal and plastic color matched spoiler. The CX has no rear wiper, but the DX does. The CX has no rear cargo cover, but the DX does.

16. JAYYS

JAYYS New Member Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

the future downfall of thr human race lazyness

17. NOFX

NOFX I'm NOT eran! Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

Some people actually aren't strong enough to drive a heavy modern vehicle without power steering. While I can do it, it's taxing to do all day since I'm not used to it and I'm not a big person, but how about disabled people? As much as I dislike automatic transmissions I even realize that older people and disabled people can better drive a vehicle that's an automatic.

It's not always laziness and it's silly to jump to that conclusion.

18. ekomar

ekomar New Member 5+ Year Member

hatch and they cant see anything if you got a cargo cover+ tint! (HATCH > COUPE)

19. HBADGE4LIFE

HBADGE4LIFE New Member 5+ Year Member

I say a hatch but I mean I like tegs and hatches so really like everyone is saying I would go with what you like but hatches already have everything ready to make them power windows and so on I believe correct me if I am wrong and well if you live near Houston or Dallas then you should easily be able to get those parts from a junk yard for little to nothing.

20. B16a2_ek

B16a2_ek New Member Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

HATCH > coupe.. i got power locks windows and mirrors.. was a little pricey but well worth the conversion in my opinion