Cracked Exhaust Manifold what is a good brand to use as a replacement? 99 civic dx

Jean99civic

I'm looking for a good brand to replace my original Exhaust Manifold which is cracked. I looked online and saw the brand Advance Auto parts is selling is not getting good reviews (Dorman). Any suggestions? Also it's a leisure car so I don't require any high performance parts.

'99 Honda Civic dx. No mods on it.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
Get a used non-cracked one from someone on the forum. Someone will probably just give it to you, there are plently of single slammer jammers on CC.

CO671

Registered VIP
A stock D-series header from a 92-95 EX model or a 96-00 EX model. Can be found under $100 if found right, and is way more reliable than a $50 ebay exhaust crapifold

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
A stock D-series header from a 92-95 EX model or a 96-00 EX model. Can be found under $100 if found right, and is way more reliable than a $50 ebay exhaust crapifold
he has a dx so unless he wants so spend hella just to convert to ex exhaust system then that wont work.

oem is the best if you dont need performance parts, remember the catalytic converter is built into your header on the dx and hx models so its going to be expensive to replace if brand new

Jean99civic

he has a dx so unless he wants so spend hella just to convert to ex exhaust system then that wont work.

oem is the best if you dont need performance parts, remember the catalytic converter is built into your header on the dx and hx models so its going to be expensive to replace if brand new
Correct, the mani/cat is one piece in dx models. I tried to find the part at junkyards and they said they can't sell the one piece mani/cat combo bc of emissions laws. It requires inspection before being allowed to be resold and isn't worth it for most places to do.

I'm wondering if there is a website where I can find OEM parts for cheaper than the dealership? Or does that not exist?

As far as after market, im looking at a Walker 16069. Anyone used this brand? I've heard you get what you pay for as far as after market cats so im a little weary.
Thanks for the help.

RealRabbit

Registered VIP

How is it a ton of money? I have a ex manifold on mine. It's just the manifold and mid pipe. It bolted right up.
Sedan Life Member #5

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
How is it a ton of money? I have a ex manifold on mine. It's just the manifold and mid pipe. It bolted right up.
Sedan Life Member #5
Out here in CA, in order to pass emissions, he'd have to convert to the lower EX cat with a post-cat 02. Getting the manifold, cat, and 02 is easily $500+. I don't know if it's different in Florida, but from what I understand, they have similar emissions laws (although not as strict).

RealRabbit

Registered VIP
Makes since, but you can still get after market cats reasonable. FL has no inspection. So I just have one o2 sensor and makes out a lot easier. Since one is only for emissions. I could see it being hassle in CA though.

Sedan Life Member #5

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I've heard you get what you pay for as far as after market cats so im a little weary.
Exactly. I'd be cautious with buying from brands that no one has heard of.

If buying a used y7 cat is too much of a hassle, your next best/cheapest option may be to buy a used EX header and cat. I'm not sure how much the mid-pipe length differs between y7 and y8 though so I'm not 100% sure if you'll have fitment issues but you shouldn't.

Jean99civic

Thanks for the replies. I am a female btw

As for right now it's looking like $300 for new mani/cat. Was told it cannot be welded/ the weld wouldn't hold. The code was for upstream 02 sensor and then found the crack. Hopefully the 02 sensor is still good and faulty reading was due to the crack. I'll update in case it helps anyone.

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Thanks for the replies. I am a female btw

As for right now it's looking like $300 for new mani/cat. Was told it cannot be welded/ the weld wouldn't hold. The code was for upstream 02 sensor and then found the crack. Hopefully the 02 sensor is still good and faulty reading was due to the crack. I'll update in case it helps anyone.
My apologies!

Pull the 02, and if there's a lot of white sediment around the base of it, chances are it needs to be replaced. Just a little bit, and you're fine.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
lol sorry we all assume that there are no females on a car forum haha. you could buy an ex manifold like stated and buy a universal magnaflow cat or something then have it welded under the car because that will hold, if they were thinking welding it to the manifold then of course it wouldnt hold because you cant weld different types of metals together usually

unforgiven512

I just replaced my manifold with this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C8P8M0/ref=pe_175190_21431760_M3T1_ST1_dp_1

It was cheap. I had to slightly modify it to get it to fit (hacksaw off a very small bit of the edge where it meets the head, if you'd like me to post pictures, I can.)

It seem to have had decent ratings on Amazon; that's why I purchased it. I've only had it in for a few days, seems to be working well so far. If you do decide to go this route, I can offer my assistance with anything needed.

My initial problem was the same -- cracked manifold, fault code on upstream O2 sensor. O2 sensor needed replaced. I had already purchased a bosch replacement sensor from autozone for $65. I pulled a downstream from the local junkyard for $12.70 just for the hell of it, and saved my old downstream as a backup.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

Jean99civic

@ unforgiven512 - I was just looking at that one. Here's another one I was checking out. The ATP is looking pretty good, esp for the price. Did you notice your engine running louder with this part? I read that on one of the reviews.

@mc360 - All good! The welding talk was about welding the actual crack on the manifold. I was told that it probably wouldn't hold with the heat. Also the cracks go down to the threads.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I think you should post pictures for all to see because people tend to disappear and leave everyone wondering how things turned out. When's your next emissions test? You should post a picture of results here when you end up getting the sniffer to show if it works good or not

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Respect for being the minority. Women that can wrench on their own cars and troubleshoot their problems are quite alright with me. Stick around the site! :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jean99civic

@ mc360 We have no emissions tests here in Florida, none that are mandatory at least. The car came from NH and im from Mass so I know what you are talking about as they have the test req. up there. Most mechanics that have looked at it can tell it's been up north w/ the road salts bc it's pretty rusted. I'll post pics of the mani/cat a little later. The shield on both is pretty corroded.

Part comes in on Thursday. :D