Crankshaft Main Bearings Replacement Help

jar25201

So I need to replace the main bearings on a F22B2 engine, first off... Can I do this with the engine in the car? If so, how exactly do go about doing this so the crank don't fall down?

sleeper si

Registered VIP
i think you should inspect and verify the condiiton of the crank journals before just replacing the bearings.

jar25201

It was getting bearing chatter on the low end. But I got them replaced last night, just used a cotter pin and bent to help feed the bearing around. They were kinda beat up, thinking lack of lubrication and possibly bearing crush.

It is a private practice vehicle and just left another repair shop about 5 months ago and had head gasket replaced and some other work. I have never seen such poor workmanship before. Copper gasket between block deck and head, he also used it on the valvetrain and spark plug holes. Damn idiot don't you know clearances mean something. Broken connections, jerry rigged together. If you haven't guessed it already, it blewed the head gasket again, between 3/4. Was leaking oil though valve stem seals and ect. I am just thankful they didn't use any type of fluid fix crap, like bars leak.

But anyways.. I completed the main bearing task, I just never did main bearing's in the car before, and wasn't 100% confident. But everything went as planned.

sleeper si

Registered VIP
It was getting bearing chatter on the low end. But I got them replaced last night, just used a cotter pin and bent to help feed the bearing around. They were kinda beat up, thinking lack of lubrication and possibly bearing crush.

It is a private practice vehicle and just left another repair shop about 5 months ago and had head gasket replaced and some other work. I have never seen such poor workmanship before. Copper gasket between block deck and head, he also used it on the valvetrain and spark plug holes. Damn idiot don't you know clearances mean something. Broken connections, jerry rigged together. If you haven't guessed it already, it blewed the head gasket again, between 3/4. Was leaking oil though valve stem seals and ect. I am just thankful they didn't use any type of fluid fix crap, like bars leak.

But anyways.. I completed the main bearing task, I just never did main bearing's in the car before, and wasn't 100% confident. But everything went as planned.
i am interested on the longevity of your repair.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Moved this thread to engine tech. F22B2 isn't a 6th gen / civic engine.